Friday, January 28, 2011

The Honey Pot

This morning after music class, Norah and I went to Babies R Us to pick up some supplies for Funkhouser (oh, nipple cream, how I have so NOT missed you). I hadn't been there in forever, probably close to a year, and it was crazy how small and non-Norah like all the items were. Anyway, there is a Kohl's next door and since I am always on the hunt for pants that might actually fit my relatively tall and very skinny kid, we popped in (the no diaper situation has just made it worse-I literally cannot keep her pants up. She has a constant plumber's crack).

It was pretty early in the day and so hardly anyone was there. We wandered around for a good hour just looking at stuff (the watches were her favorite, as was the lingerie section), and played hide and seek in the shower curtain department. Pants were a bust, but as we made our way to the cashier we passed a display of super cute and super on sale Valentine's stuff. I have been wanting a cookie jar for forever for some weird reason and there were some really cute ones, so I asked Norah to pick out her favorite. She picked this one that looks like a cupcake.

She likes it because it "looks like a honey pot." Anyway, it's not tiny, but not huge. Probably 18 inches tall or so. Anyway, she asked if she could carry it and I said sure. We were waiting in the world's slowest line when the woman from the jewelry counter asked if we wanted to step out of line and be rung up in the jewelry department. Why of course we did. She came over and snatched the jar out of Norah's hands and started walking back to her register. Dude. Norah, LOST IT. Of course she did. The lady literally pulled it out of her hands. I said, 'oh, it's fine, she can carry it.' The woman said, 'no, she absolutely can NOT. She is going to drop it and it will break everywhere.' I told her that Norah was fine and was being careful and on the off chance that she broke it I would be happy to pay for it.

No dice. This broad literally ran to her register with poor Norah's honey pot and Norah wailed like I have never heard her wail before. I paid as quickly as possible so that I could just give her back the dang cookie jar. The lady gave me the side eye, you know the, I can't believe you let your kid scream in public, kind of look... so I said, 'I hope it was worth making a 2 year old cry over a $12 cookie jar THAT I WOULD HAVE PAID FOR ANYWAY.' Geesh.

Once in the car Norah told me she was sorry for crying in the store. I felt bad because 1) she didn't do anything wrong and I wanted to make sure she knew that, but 2) I would like to avoid public screaming as much as possible. So, I told her that the lady wasn't right in taking the jar from her but next time maybe we wouldn't scream about it. She agreed.

2 comments:

k-dog studios said...

what a mean broad. norah is so sweet

Bonnie said...

That cookie jar is fantastically awesome. Keep it close the next time I come over or I may make Norah cry.