Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Funkhouser Update: Week 35

Now that we are in the home stretch and I feel like I am at the doctor's office more often than not, there will be more frequent updates. Weekly non-stress tests continue to go well. I am having a TON of contractions, some of them real, but Funkhouser tolerates them well so there is nothing to be done other than take it easy. Which is hard. My annoying symptom list is growing exponentially longer and now includes a bruised rib (presumably from his karate chop kicks), massive pelvic pain, itchy skin (although certainly not the death rash), general aches and pains, and routine exhaustion. I went to acupuncture last week and it has improved the insomnia/anxiety immeasurably. I still wake up several times a night, but usually it is just to pee and then I can (more often that not) go right back to sleep. It's made a huge difference in my anxiety level and general disposition. I plan to go back once a week until he is born.

I am still sick, but slowly getting better. My terrible cold moved into my sinuses, ears and chest. Last Friday, my awesome friends hosted a ladies' night out to celebrate Funky (more on that in a bit), and on the drive home at around midnight, I was rubbing the left side of my face to try and relieve some of the pain. While on the freeway there was a 'pop' and then I felt my entire ear instantly fill with fluid (gross, right?) There was nothing I could do until I got home, and when I walked into the bathroom I saw the entire left side of my face was covered in blood. Oh yes. My ear exploded. The crazy thing was that it was the first time in a week that it didn't hurt like hell. The explosion actually made it feel great. I went to urgent care first thing Saturday morning and as it turns out, the sinus pressure ruptured a membrane in my middle ear. It was actually a good thing since a rupture was the only thing that would have relieved the pressure, but I did end up having to get a course of antibiotics. Yuck.

In happier (and less bloody) news, I have awesome friends. We had a celebration for Funks last Friday night and the ladies got together for dinner, libations (well, the only libation I got was sudafed...), and general merriment. I felt very special and very loved.

There was a delicious and fancy cake. And a diaper cake! I never had a diaper cake before and it ruled (and it is made out of Seventh Generation diapers!)

There were some incredibly cute outfits given to Funks, and I am convinced that boy clothes are just as cute as girl clothes. And check out what M hand crocheted.

I got some special stuff just for me and the hospital stay, including a book all about the Real Housewives. So very, very cool.

I was completely blown away when I opened the one baby/kid thing I have wanted ever since I saw it 2.5 years ago. Actually, wanted is an understatement. This is something I have COVETED, talked ad nauseam about, agonized over. I wanted one SO BAD but was always just a little too cheap to pull the trigger. Did I mention how awesome my friends are? They got me this:

It's a Stokke Tripp Trapp chair. I love it. I adore it. I kiss it every morning.

There was also a big bag of stuff for the Big Sister. She got several big sister shirts, books, a picture frame, and awesome new pajamas. That she refuses to take off. That she has worn every single night.

Even an ear explosion couldn't dampen what a great, fun, and love-filled night it was.

In other news, we (and when I say we, of course, I mean I) have finally started to work on Funkhouser's room. It's starting to come along.

The excitement level in the house continues to grow. Norah insists on helping rub Bio-Oil (the anti stretch mark oil-HA) on my belly every morning and then makes me rub some on her belly. Some days the baby in her belly in named Funkhouser 2, but more often than not, the baby's name is Zerg.

4 comments:

Nita_Gilger said...

Janet. I love your blog. You are hilarious!!! I have always loved your sense of humor. You are great. Just know Mark and I are thinking of you and keeping all of you in our thoughts and prayers as Feb. 28th arrives.

Natalie said...

I delivered Spencer at 35 weeks, 6 days. I am praying you make it past that point, because having a preemie was no picnic. Well, birthing him was the easiest thing I've ever done, but "having" him was hard.

The stenciling (or are they stickers?) on the wall looks awesome.

JAMS' HOUSE said...

Yikes, you are getting close. And the ear thing! Love the stickers too!

Maryellen said...

What a post! I can't believe your ear exploded. Do you have pictures?

I agree that baby boy clothes are pretty cute too.