Friday, January 07, 2011

Mom, You Let Her Shot Me!

Because Norah only gets one vaccination at a time we are still a little behind. To be fair I hadn't brought in her in for over 6 months, so we actually could have been caught up but for my slacking. Anyway, after music class today she got her second round of Hepatitis A. Now, Norah has never really been scared of shots. Which is ironic, since she always has a bad reaction. She loves going to the doctor, playing doctor, and giving and receiving pretend shots. So, I felt no need to lie to her about where we were going and why we were going there (actually, I wouldn't lie to her regardless-the last thing I am ever going to do is tell her we are going to the zoo and then take her to the dentist. Years of therapy there).

Surprisingly, she was really, really apprehensive about getting a shot. She kept saying, "I don't want to but I will try to be brave." She was momentarily distracted by the fountain in the lobby of the medical office but was still pretty freaked out. She did okay until we got into the actual exam room and that's when she lost.her.mind. SCREAMING and crying and clawing at me. Oh, and did I mention the screaming? I couldn't believe she was so upset. She refused to stand or sit or even lay on the table and so I had to hold her (while she death gripped me), while the nurse got her in the leg. She was so mad and yelled, "Mom, you let her shot me!" I felt so, so, so bad, especially for laughing.

The good news is that she had almost no reaction at all to the injection (just minor redness), so maybe she's growing out of her sensitivity after all. We still had to wait in the office for a half hour, and while we hung out Norah told me she would be okay if she had a chocolate milkshake.

Those are her new rain boots. I got them from a baby bargain website for something ridiculous like $3, but sizes were limited and the ones I got were 2 sizes too big. I figured I would put them away for next year, but as soon as Norah saw them it was game on and she hasn't let them out of her sight. She insists on wearing them everywhere even though they fall off constantly. It's driving me crazy.

Oh, and just as a quick update, I was so dumb for freaking out about her having to potty in public. She is a world champion. IT IS SO MUCH EASIER to find a bathroom than it is to change diapers in public places. Shoulda, coulda, woulda, but I am shocked at how not a big deal at all it is.

2 comments:

aileen said...

Norah cracks me up as much as you do. I love the new rain boots!

k-dog studios said...

sorry to hear how traumatized N was about the shot but your recount of the events had me laughing out loud.