Sunday, January 09, 2011

Sad Day

I was going to do a post about how we took Norah to the toy store yesterday to pick out her "I am potty trained" prize and she chose a giant rubber T-Rex, but it somehow doesn't seem appropriate in light of the tragedy in Tucson yesterday.

BVZ and I lived in Tucson for 3 years. It is where we met, where we went to law school, and where many of our friends and colleagues still live and practice. We know several people with both personal and professional connections to the victims of yesterday's shooting. It would be devastating no matter where it happened, but for some reason the fact that it was Tucson, a place we love, makes it all the more real. And so unsettling.

It is a tragedy that has forever changed the lives of the victims, their friends and family, and an entire community. I won't venture a guess as to the motivation, political or not, of the gunman, because it seems pretty clear from the reports that have been released that he was profoundly mentally ill (I would put my money on paranoid schizophrenia). It doesn't really matter. Nothing makes the whole thing suck any less.

All our thoughts are with you, Tucson.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

I haven't lived in Tucson for 10 years, but I was born and raised there and my entire family still lives there.

This means a lot. And I am crying. Again.

Jennifer said...

What a nice post, Janet. I'm sorry for your friends that were affected by this. unbelievable.
But congratulations anyway to Norah on no more diapers! I wish it was that easy for the rest of us!