Sunday, January 16, 2011

Baby Ballet

Our city has a fabulous Parks and Rec department and lots and lots of classes are offered for little ones. Norah took soccer through the department last fall, but we decided to not do the winter session because they cancel class when it rains and the rate we're going, class would be canceled every week. I gave her some indoor options and she jumped at the chance to do a ballet class. She and Ruby pretend to be ballerinas all of the time, so I knew she would be into it. I was into the fact that the class is at the community center which is a 2 minute walk from our house.

My only apprehension was the fact it isn't a parent/kid class, it is a kid-only class. That makes me a little nervous, especially because of the potty situation. But, I figured we had to pull the trigger at some point, so I signed her up and last week I got her ballet shoes and a ballet outfit. All of the major kid stores carry ballet skirts, leotards, etc., but it is surprisingly difficult to find ones that don't have the traditional ballet bottom (a newly potty trained kid's nightmare). Thankfully, I found an outfit at Old Navy that looked like a ballet leotard and skirt, but is really just a dress.

We got to the dance studio, met Teacher Danielle and learned we would be allowed to stay and watch the first class. The first thing Danielle did was invite the dancers to choose a tiny stuffed friend to dance with. Norah chose a bear and was thrilled.




The other kids showed up, several of which had been in previous ballet sessions. Norah and the little girl standing next to her were the only ones who listened and followed directions.

First was stretching and toe touching.

Then some marching and tip-toeing.


Lots of balancing the animal on the head.

Scarf dancing. By this point a little boy named Austin had joined the class. Now, I am all for diversity, but he was a giant pain in the ass. He was really disruptive. I don't think it was the fact he was a boy, I think he was just a jerk.





Norah excelled at the jumping part.

Her favorite part was when Danielle pulled out the ring and when she called each kid's name, they were supposed to run up, jump in the ring and then jump out of it.

I was holding my breath, but again, Norah was one of the only ones who did as she was asked.

Some more marching and tip-toeing.

They got to give their animals a hug goodbye, which Norah was more than happy to do.

Balancing on the back to rock them to sleep. Again, you can see the two superstars of the class (believe me, it could have gone the other way-we just got lucky).

At the end of the class Teacher Danielle passed out little stickers (Norah got a horse-she was thrilled), and Norah announced, "I am ready to go potty."

An unqualified success. We'll see how it goes next week when we have to stay outside.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

N looks so grown up

aileen said...

Soo cute! I love the ballet shoes.

JAMS' HOUSE said...

Very cute.

Jennifer said...

Norah looks so precious and grown up. I love the dress. This post gave me hope . . . Eliza starts ballet/tap class on Thursday and it is kid only and I am a little nervous about how she will do with out me.