Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Big Girl Room

Norah's big girl room is finally done and she has officially moved in. I wish I would have taken some 'before' pictures of the room, but of course I forgot. The room had previously been the guest bedroom/office/general dumping ground. It was a deep maroon color.

It is now a lovely light peachy-yellow. I am hoping it won't have to be repainted until Norah is a teenager and wants it black. Right off the bat is a picture of my favorite part-the wall tree over her bed.

It is a vinyl decal that I ordered off of Etsy. It was a true labor of love-from start to finish it took about 6 hours to put up. Huge, huge, HUGE props to Aunt Vanessa who was instrumental in the installation of the tree trunk. Now, I knew I wouldn't be able to put the tree up myself, it was definitely a two person job, and I feared that BVZ and I wouldn't be able to put it up together and remain married. Aunt Vanessa was in town for the long weekend and we got to see her on Saturday, and so I knew she would be the perfect person for the job because she: 1) has an excellent attention to detail, and 2) would be (relatively) nice to BVZ. I took a nap with Norah while they put it up and even though it took them over 2 hours to get it up it was perfect. Once we woke up, Grandpa Gene and Ms. Mary were here and they gracefully entertained Norah for the next 4 hours while I put up the flowers, birds, owls, and leaves.

These prints are from her old room. You can also see her nightstand, which she loves. It has a small drawer and every day she hides a new surprise in there. This morning it was full of legos.

This is her new bed (all furniture is from The Land of Nod). I agonized for weeks about the bedding, which is from Pottery Barn Kids. I loved it, but could not justify spending that amount of money on kids' bedding. Right before Christmas I got an email coupon for like 25% off and I decided to pull the trigger. The story is long and not that interesting but basically they were sold out save for the quilt that had been on display and so it was deeply discounted, the stock guy took forever to bring it up so the sales person discounted it even more, and I had my coupon. I ended up walking out of the store with the quilt and sham for over a $100 less than I was planning to spend. Score. We ended up putting the rail from her toddler bed up just in case. It makes the bed much harder to make and I hate the way it looks, but she lays up against it so it has to be there for the time being.

That's the door to the sun room. I put a black out curtain up on the other side of the door and it works perfectly. The green curtain is the one from her old room. Her old room had black out curtains behind the green one, so she never got natural light. Now, when I go to get her in the morning the first thing she asks to see is the sun. I don't blame her.

These are the storage bins that had been in the living room. The majority of her toys are now (thankfully) in her room.

Her new dresser, with the same elephant print that was in her old room. The blue hook on the right is for her bath towel, the pink one of the left is for her cape/dress up clothes/whatever.

Bookshelf with her owl print.

Funkhouser's room gets the recliner/glider, so we got this small, yet comfy, chair from IKEA.

See that white bin? Nothing but stuffed animals. She rotates who gets to sleep with her every night.

Another shot of the tree as you enter the room.

She told me today that the little owl is 'Nanor', the big owl is 'Janet', and the birds are 'Ruby', 'Aileen', and 'Teacher Mona' (from music class).

New, big girl lamp.
The pictures don't really do it justice and I couldn't be more pleased with how it turned out. There was a lot of anticipation leading up to it being finished, so imagine my surprise when we told her she could sleep in there for the first time on Friday night and she FREAKED out. She was totally fine and then when we said it was time for bed she got really upset and said she was scared. We did 1,245 books and 2,456 stories and 9,657 songs and I snuggled up with her and rubbed her back until she fell asleep about 2 hours after bedtime. The next two nights went much better and she seems happy as can be (although it still asking for more books/stories than usual). We can deal.

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

The tree is amazing, I want one.

Maryellen said...

Norah's room looks AWESOME!!!!

k-dog studios said...

agree with maryellen - the room looks awesome. so glad N likes it (although what's not to love!)

Jennifer said...

oh, wow - it turned out great! I LOVE that tree!!

aileen said...

I love the tree and owl decal. I'm tickled pink that she named a bird after me (or maybe you know another Aileen?)

JAMS' HOUSE said...

Great job. Yes and yes, love the tree

Kristin said...

Where the eff are her rumble in the jungle frames?? Do it.

Jennifer said...

I love everything about her new room. You guys did a great job on creating such a warm and happy environment for her. And just like everyone else, I think the tree is awesome.