Sunday, December 19, 2010

Toys for Tots

For as much complaining I do about various parenting related things, I have never lost sight of how truly fortunate we are that we are able to provide everything that Norah needs and a lot of things that she wants. We also have an amazing network of family and friends that protect and provide for her as well. That's why it is really, really, really important to me that Norah grows up not only knowing how lucky she is, but that it is her responsibility to give back.

That's why we talk to her all of the time about how and why we help other people. She's too young right now to understand the little things (ie, charitable donations we make) or the big things (ie, my job), so instead we concentrate on what she does get--helping other kids. Every year for her birthday we will ask for books to donate in lieu of gifts (last year it was a HUGE success and we were able to make the local shelter very happy), and every holiday season we participate in the Toys for Tots drive.

We have done it the past 2 years and I don't think she had (understandably) a clue what was really going on. This year, however, she was really, really, really into it. She and Pamma went to the mall on Thursday and gave some money to the firefighters manning the donation booth, so she already had it in her head who they were and what they were doing. The idea that some kids might not have toys really bummed her out and she legitimately wanted to do something about it. On Friday, she and I spent a good 2 hours in Target picking out toys. She thought it was great. Not once did she ask for anything for herself, rather she carefully walked the aisles picking stuff out and throwing it into the cart while saying things like, "the kids are REALLY going to like this one!" There were a couple of things I had to put back when she wasn't looking (like an $80 robot-gorilla), but for the most part she had good and appropriate taste. Her only disappointment was that we couldn't find any dinosaurs (since when does Target not have dinosaurs???)

The plan was to take our donations in yesterday, but she was a little under the weather and we totally ran out of time, so that left us to do it today.

Only, this is how she spent the morning:

She's chock full of snot and running a bit of a fever. She loves being sick though because she gets to lay on the couch and watch Calliou.

I knew it was today or never though because I have to work all week, so even though it was pouring we made our way to the mall. On the way she told me that she didn't feel good but "I think a cheeseburger will make it better." Nice try, kid. BVZ stayed home to take care of some stuff so I didn't get to take the kind of pictures I wanted to, but Norah marched right up to the firefighters (I had to go with her and hold her hand), gave them her bags of gifts and said, "thank you for helping the kids." I about lost it right there, I was SO proud of her. The firefighter told her, "thank YOU for helping the kids." She wouldn't let me take her picture with him but she did tell him "happy holidays" and then "I LIKE helping the kids!" The firefighter was super cool and gave her a big hug.

I knew she didn't feel good because she actually asked to ride in the stroller (I don't think we've used the stroller for at least 6 months). I bought her a milk and a pumpkin cookie and told her I was really, really proud of her.

She's a really compassionate and amazing kid. I can't wait until she's a little older and she can volunteer and do more labor intensive stuff. I know she'll be great at it.

No comments: