Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Hearth

I like Christmas decorations, but we have a small house and I already feel totally overwhelmed by how much stuff is in it. Our holiday decor tends to be minimal because 1) I am too cheap to buy stuff that will only be used a few weeks a year, and 2) what we do put out already makes me feel like we are on the verge of being on an episode of Hoarders. So, our Christmas decorations consist primarily of a tree, a snowman in the window, a gingerbread house in the other window, a small, lit decorative tree on the front walkway, and the wreath we get every year from our realtor. Oh, and the hearth. We have a nice fireplace with a mantle that I love, so that's where our prized Christmas items go-the ceramic angels made by my Grandma Mary and the stockings made by Bubby.

I have had this handmade stocking for as long as I can remember and it rocks a seriously cool 70's vibe. My mom made each of the sisters a stocking and they were a huge part of our Christmas mornings (filled to the brim with chapsticks, bubble bath, oranges, and candy-I would sneak out of my room at like 3 am to switch the flavors I got for the ones my sisters got...but that's a whole different story). I loved my stocking so much that I didn't even mind that mine was green and everyone else's was red, or that mine turned left and everyone else's turned right (way to stick it to the one girl out of four who didn't get thick and gorgeous blonde hair, but whatever...)

Anyway, once the next generation started showing up Bubby made sure each of them got a special stocking too. This year is Norah's stocking's debut (why, yes your math is correct and this is her 3rd Christmas), but we feel pretty lucky because I think Trevor had 5 before he got his. If Reid or Funkhouser get a stocking before they can drive, they will be doing okay (just kidding Bubby).

The cat used to have a stocking, but I couldn't find it this year, and really, I don't like her much anyway.

Norah's stocking up close. She loves it.

My other favorite part of holiday decor is the door from to the kitchen to the garage, which displays all of the cards we receive. I love photo cards and I especially love cheesy 'what we've been up to this year' letters. Keep 'em coming.

3 comments:

k-dog studios said...

Impressive stockings bubby! I've been trying to figure out a way to hang our cards - maybe I'll copy you next yesr once mr. Grabby is a bit older. Looking forward to spending tomorrow with you guys. Merry Christmas - may Santa bring you lots of chapstick in all your favorite flavors.

aileen said...

Bubby has SKILLZ! I love the holiday cards too. I was strictly forbidden to write a summary of our year to send with our holiday card. Merry Christmas GVZs!

Kristy said...

We do a card wall and I love them as well! We will have to exchange addresses next year! I would love a GVZ Christmas Card!