Monday, December 27, 2010

No More Diapers: Day One (Sunday)

We've been dabbling (no pun intended) in potty training for months now. Norah has gone through periods of being really interested....and then loses interest just as quickly. We haven't pushed it because 1) I want to wait until she's really ready, and 2) well, um. Diapers are REALLY convenient. But with Funkhouser's arrival less than two months away (yikes), I figured we needed to get on it. It isn't that I am necessarily opposed to having two kids in diapers, but I have zero interest in potty training a toddler with a newborn around and I have even less interest in buying diapers for two.

For months now she has regularly peed on the potty first thing in the morning and right before bath. Her sticker chart is completely full. But, we haven't been all that consistent and she's been in a diaper every time we leave the house. I knew we had crossed the point of no return when we were in Austin a few weeks ago and at the dinner table Norah announced "Mom, I have to go to the potty!" and I told her "it's okay, you are wearing a diaper." Aunt Stephanie shamed and humiliated me and I promised to let her be the big girl she obviously wants to be.

I have this week off of work and so it's game on. Sunday morning we threw out all the remaining diapers (which I rescued from the trash as soon as she wasn't looking-hey, those things are expensive!) and she's been in underwear the entire time. We haven't left the house and probably won't until at least Tuesday (according to the 3-day potty training method, that's the way it goes). She peed on the potty 7 times yesterday and acted as though she'd been doing it all her life. No accidents. I did put her in a pull-up for nap (which was very wet when she woke up). After dinner she complained of a stomach-ache (groaning and clutching her tummy-it clearly was very uncomfortable), and she tried 3 or 4 times to sit on the potty to poop, but no dice. I think she's just used to squatting in a certain way that you can't do on a potty-either the little one or the big one. She was in a ton of pain and asked for a pull-up, so I let her have one even though it is against the "rules" of the 3-day method. She tried to go, but couldn't. We put her in a pull-up for night-time and this morning it was wet and poopy. SO GROSS.

Anyone have tips on the poop situation, I would love to hear them. She isn't adverse to going on the potty, she just can't seem to get the kind of leverage she needs.

Stay tuned.

No comments: