Thursday, December 30, 2010

Last Potty Post (well, at least for now)

Norah continues to rock the pee world. She goes consistently and remains accident-free. She holds it a little longer than I would like and I have to remind (and sometimes bribe) her to go frequently. Wednesday was a big day because I had an appointment at the heart center and so Norah spent about 2 hours hanging out at Ruby's house. No accidents, one sit on the potty, but no pee. Apparently, Ruby wanted to try too and the two of them got a good laugh looking at each others "tushies." (She also told me later that night that she has a little tushy and I have a gigantic tushy. Thanks, kid.) I went to pick her up and had her try and go before we left, and sure enough, a nice big pee.

I was taking her with me to my regular OB appointment and I broke the rules and put her in a pull up. I was concerned because 1) it was a bit of a drive, and 2) if I was in the middle of my appointment and she said she had to go we were screwed. She let me do it but then complained in the car the entire time that she was a big girl and she didn't want a pull up. She was great at my appointment and was really into listening to Funkhouser's heart beat. She cried when we had to leave because she wanted the doctor to check her out too.

We got home to a totally dry pull up and a request to sit on the potty, so I know she totally gets it. Underwear for nap and then a delightful afternoon of organizing baby stuff and cleaning out closets. She rediscovered a fancy dress and newborn hat.


She also figured out how to climb in an emptied out armoire.

She stretched out on the shelf and then demanded that I pound on the shelf above her (you know, to be Santa and the reindeer).

I am not ready to even think about putting her to bed in underwear, even though this morning she woke up dry and immediately sat on the potty. We'll see how the next couple of weeks go.

Today was even more monumental because we had big plans to go see Tangled with Ruby and her mom and it was going to be our first real public outing. All morning we talked about and looked at her "outside the house" potty ring and even tried it out a couple of times.

In the elevator on the way to the theater:

She and Ruby were much happier to see each other than this photo reflects. They had big hugs and then walked through the theater holding hands.

We had a successful potty trip before the movie started (yes, I took a picture), and then settled down in our seats in a shockingly crowded theater. Ruby's mom got the girls some popcorn which was thrilling. The movie was cute, despite being a bit age inappropriate (a mean old woman kidnaps the infant Rapunzel and raises her as her own child. Which was confusing because I knew the old woman would meet an unfortunate demise by the end, but Rapunzel called her mother, etc. and two and a half is a little young to understand such a sophisticated concept. Norah kept asking me, 'is that her mommy?' and at one point I said, 'that's her pretend mommy.' Which was dumb because Norah just kept saying, 'but she can TALK.' We have talked ad nauseum about the story since we left the movie and we now refer to her as 'the mean old woman who pretended to be Rapunzel's mommy but really wasn't.')

Anyway, I tried to get her to go potty about 900 times during the movie (I am sure I was so annoying to anyone in ear shot), and finally about 3/4ths of the way through she agreed to go and had another successful trip.

After the movie we let the girls burn off some steam and put them in the photo booth. How cute are they??? (Thanks, M for figuring out how to download the pics.)

The true test will be if we can maintain her current success and actually get her to poop (she hasn't gone since Tuesday). I am a bit apprehensive of what will happen when I go back to work on Monday, but she's in great hands with Ruby and Pamma and I have every expectation she will continue to do great.

2 comments:

Nayoung said...

Yey!!! Audrey is being potty trained too! We've been at it since early December. I'm trying to not stress out too much, and I just put her in a pull up when we go out, when she naps, and when she sleeps at night. (I know they say it's not a good idea to use pull ups, but hey, what has Audrey done "by the book", right?) Pull up is almost always dry, but this way, I don't have to constantly worry about it. I can probably go out diaper free, but I still just put her in a pull up and and she doesn't mind. She's doing well with the poop too, no trouble at all (which was a big surprise to me). Now if only she will sleep better....

Tucker said...

I LOVE the photo booth pics!! So cute!