Sunday, October 24, 2010

Giants

BVZ really, really, really, really loves the San Francisco Giants. They have been his favorite team since he was a little kid. He has been a loyal supporter through good times and bad and has repeatedly tried to add 'Barry' to the list of potential baby names. We haven't been to the ball park as much since Norah has been born as we have in years past (I think he's been to 5 games a season versus 20), but watching the games at home have taken on a whole new meaning as he teaches Norah the rules, the players, and inundates her with random Giants trivia.

Time is precious around here and there are a LOT of regular season games, so BVZ got in the habit of DVR'ing them so he could fast forward through commercials, time outs, pitching changes, etc. It saved him time, and really, kept my complaining about the fact that there was a game EVERY FREAKING NIGHT to a minimum. Norah can now correctly identify Tim Lincecum (long hair) and Brian Wilson, aka B. Weezy (dark stupid beard). When anyone else in a Giants uniform comes on she hollers, BUSTER POSEY!

BVZ of course was beyond thrilled when the Giant made the first round of the playoffs, but he continued to DVR the games because they were simply too stressful for him to watch live.* As the Giants advanced once and then again, the stress got worse and worse and finally he got to the point where he would pace the floor and watch the text feed on his iphone and then allow himself to watch the action on tv once he already knew what was going to happen.

Last night the Giants won the pennant and advanced to the World Series. When we learned this (from the nice people on the internet), we were watching the bottom of the fifth. There was much celebrating, the tv got turned live, and then BVZ resumed watching the game once the excitement subsided. We considered for about 10 minutes trying to get tickets to one of the first two games, but the cheapest we could find was $500 a ticket. Considering the fact that Norah needs new bedroom furniture and Funkhouser needs a college account, it didn't seem quite so practical.

So even though we won't be there in body we will be in spirit. GO GIANTS!

*It is no great secret that I am not much of a sports fan. It isn't that I don't enjoy the games themselves it is just that I can't stand how seriously the players, commentators and fans take a GAME. There are a lot of politics involved and even more money. I think everyone would be better served if it went back to just being a game, but no one listens to me.

5 comments:

Cam said...

Ha! I love the Giants too. I am the one that is pacing the floor and shouting at the tv while Doug is off being responsible. Emma has been yelling "Go Giants Go" and knows more players names than Doug ever will. But when they won last night, Doug offered to buy me tickets to one of the games. Realizing that Emma will need shoes the rest of her life, I declined too.

Maryellen said...

I'm so out of it that I thought you were talking about football until I got to about the middle of your post.

JAMS' HOUSE said...

Love it!
Lincecum is AM's fav, anytime he is not on (which is a lot) she'll say "where is Lincecum", if he's not on she won't really watch the game.

TSG said...

While I am very excited for BVZ and for the Giants, you know that I am a life long die hard Texas Rangers fan. And my baby on the way (Nolan Ryan Gilger) has brought the Rangers good luck this year. Would you really cheer against my baby like that? GO RANGERS!!

k-dog studios said...

I fear for BVZ when the world series games begin...