Monday, August 09, 2010

Little People Have Butts

Norah is really into Little People right now (as in the Fisher Price toys, not the family from the TLC show). We got several sets second hand and she spends a good part of her day every day playing with the princess tree house (I know, I KNOW), the pirate ship, the garage, and the whaling boat. Little People have gotten way better since I was a kid (see above). They are no longer the serious choking hazards they once were. My mom (the cleanest hoarder you'll ever meet) pulled a bunch of toys out of the attic last time we were in Austin and she had boxes upon boxes of little plastic death traps.

Anyway, I was playing garage with her after work today and this was our conversation:

Norah: Need gas (one of her favorite things to do is to fill the cars and the people with gas from the little pump--it makes noise like an old time gas pump and everything).

Me: Why do you put gas in the people too?

Norah: Cause they are thirsty. I put gas in their butts.*

Me: Why do you put gas in their bottoms?

Norah: Hmmm. (Long pause). Because their butts is where the hole is.

Well, I can't really argue with that logic. In other funny news, I asked her what she had for lunch today. Pam had already told me she had macaroni and spinach, but I like to ask her about her day. She told me "chicken nuggets and guacamole." I said, "really, how interesting. How was it?" She said, "good. A little spicy." Hmmm. Sociopath or genius? You make the call.

*I don't know why she says butts. I really don't. We say bottom. I swear. I mean, sure she still hears me say asshole every once in a while, but I don't say butt!

3 comments:

Pam said...

Today before nap time we read "Daddy's Girl" by Garrison Keillor. It is a very sweet book, especially the end - however the "b" word is in it! I hesitated oh so briefly when I got to it and Norah very quickly provided the word!

meganastone said...

It's not as good as the butt but Ruby thinks all the Little People have boo boos. She thinks the small, red Little People symbol is a band aid. Even the farm animals have them!

Natalie said...

Funny timing of this post. I get email updates from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. They email me every time anything is recalled. (I get emails almost every day.) Just 2 days ago I got an email about a Little People recall. My favorite part is that the little people have names. Who knew?

Fisher-Price, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, and Health Canada on Thursday announced a voluntary recall of approximately 96,000 Little People Play-n-Go Campsites in the U.S. (14,000 in Canada) because of a choking hazard.

The recalled seven-piece plastic play set contains a character named Sonya Lee, who can break at her waist and expose small parts that could pose a choking hazard to children.

No injuries have been reported, but Fisher-Price, a division of Mattel based in East Aurora, N.Y., said it has received eight reports of the Sonya Lee figure breaking.

"Only Sonya Lee figures that bend at the waist, have a green sweater and purple camera around the neck are included in this recall." "No other Sonya Lee figure is affected. The remaining pieces of the Little People Play 'n Go Campsite are not affected."

Consumers should immediately take the recalled play set away from children and contact Fisher-Price by calling 800-432-5437 to arrange a return of the Sonya Lee figure to receive a free replacement figure.

The recalled play sets were manufactured in China and were sold at "major retailers including mass merchandisers, discount stores, department stores and toy stores nationwide and in Puerto Rico, and by online retailers from Oct. 2009 through Aug. 2010 for about $15."