Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Maui Friday (Day Five)

We had planned to go to the aquarium at the Maui Ocean Center on Friday, but at the last minute we scrapped that idea and let Norah decide what we should do. Her first request was to sit on the frog.

(She was so tired of having her picture taken by this point.)

And her second request was to go back to baby (aka, big girl) beach. By this point in time she and ducky were all on their own and she wouldn't even let us touch her. Also by this point in time I was having some sun issues. Basically, I am allergic to the sun. Like actually allergic. The sun gives me hives. Usually I am good with lots of sunscreen and staying in the shade, but by the fifth day it was starting to get to me. Rarely does BVZ surprise me, which is a good thing for him because when he does it's a biggie. Thursday night he went out and bought me an SPF swim shirt. I am not sure why I didn't get one before. Mostly because I am cheap, I think, and I figured I could just nut up for the vacation (it isn't like I go swimming regularly). But the shirt is awesome and I was so grateful to him for figuring out what I needed.

Here's Norah not letting me touch her in the ocean.




After lunching and napping, Norah's third request was to go back to the pool, which we happily obliged.


While we were in the water BVZ and I were talking about getting Norah into swimming lessons since she seems to enjoy it so much. I was telling him that Ruby is so good now that she can dive down for rings and jumps off the side. Norah was listening and decided that SHE was going to jump off the side.


She insisted upon jumping with ducky (and the pictures don't do it justice), but I was shocked at how bold and brave she was and how well she hurled herself off the side of the pool. Of course, she was jumping on me, not into the actual water, but I was still impressed.





We stayed in the pool for hours and had to pry Norah out of it to feed her. She got dolled up but refused to let me take a good picture of her. This is the best I could do.








Friday night was pretty happening and most restaurants had a bit of a wait. Norah actually said she was hungry and wanted to eat (this NEVER happens), so we tried to distract her with the sunset.

How painfully sweet is this?

A woman gave her a beautiful flower which she carried around for the rest of the evening. I had to say 'smell it, don't lick it' at least 37 times.


The view from our table was pretty incredible.

This view too.

This doesn't do it justice at all, but you could see Venus very clearly and it was brilliantly bright.

We took a nice walk again after dinner and let Norah run on the beach for the last time. Both BVZ and I stopped to use the restroom before we left the restaurant, so Norah came in with me. While we were in the stall (with about 10 people in line), Norah announced "Mom, your butt STINKS. Peeee-ewww!" I about died. (For the record, my butt did not in fact stink, rather that's what BVZ told her earlier in the day when changing her loaded diaper.) Again, the lesson learned that she listens and understands way more than we think she does.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Spencer will make comments about the bathroom noises of others in public bathrooms. It's mortifying. I feel your pain.

Isabelle Baeck said...

Glad BVZ found an SPF shirt for you, aren't they awesome? We wear them in the vineyard during harvest since the grape juices wash away the spf when you're too busy to notice.
Bathroom incident sent coffee out my nose, simply priceless!