Saturday, September 18, 2010

Haircut and a Train Ride

Norah's hair has been completely out of control lately and impossible to brush without major tears, so we figured she was way overdue for her first haircut. Suzy gave me a recommendation for a stylist at a kid's only salon that had a good reputation for cutting curly hair, so we booked an appointment earlier this week.

Norah's world is completely different now that she is forward facing in her car seat (as of about 2 weeks ago), and I am loving all of the stuff that she points out and wants to talk about. Her number one thing right now is the Caltrain, which has a station right at an intersection we go through multiple times a day. She's been begging for a train ride, and since the salon is only a few blocks from the Burlingame station, I figured we'd kill two birds with one stone.

I am a big fan of Caltrain and commuted from the peninsula to SF on it for years before Norah was born. I loved being able to read or work or just chillax for a bit and not have to deal with traffic. The biggest drawback is that the SF station is about a mile and a half from my office so I would either have to walk for 25 minutes or so or take a bus or MUNI. Once Norah was in the picture that just made my commute too long, so I drive instead (I worry about my carbon footprint, but I figure having a Prius helps-even just a little).

Anyway, Norah was SO excited about the train and from the moment she woke up until we walked out the door she repeated, 'let's GO guys, the train is going to leave!'




As soon as she could see the train coming...



She thought it was fabulous. She waved to cars, counted diggers, and told me she could see our house about 35 times (she couldn't).










We got coffee and a snack in Burlingame and played at a park before it was time for the big haircut. Norah tends to get kind of shy and clingy in new situations, so I really had no idea how she would react. This place has a brilliant set up and there is a flat screen tv at each cutting station with kids' movies playing. Needless to say Norah was mesmerized and sat quietly and patiently through the entire cut.





She was so cute. We didn't have the stylist take off much--just cut off the dead and straggly ends and even things up. We also had her cut the front so that it wouldn't constantly be in Norah's eyes. We went to the park right afterward and Norah was happy to show off her new do.

We also went to lunch and got Norah some new Stride Rites (she desperately needed a pair of tennis shoes and since she is starting soccer next weekend (!), I figured it would be good to get them today and let her break them in this week. She wears a 7.5! I couldn't believe it. She has the feet of a big kid.

She wore her new shoes on the way home and told us, 'thanks mom and dad for the adventure.' No problem, my sweets.

6 comments:

k-dog studios said...

way to plan out such a fun and productive adventure mom! C got her sneaks last weekend - 9W!!!!!

Anonymous said...

So cute! That cut made her curls look even more fabulous. Love them!

Maryellen said...

That sounds like a fabulous day. I can't wait for the future soccer pictures.

Tucker said...

A new do and new kicks! Oh happy day!

aileen said...

We got Caleb some new sneakers at Ten Toes... size 9!

Kristin said...

In that first picture of Norah in the salon chair, she's got the same look in her eyes as you do when Jersey Shore is on.