Thursday, May 06, 2010

Breaking My Heart

Every night since she was about 8 weeks old I have sung Norah the same lullaby. We learned it in our very first music class and I modified the lyrics somewhat to meet our needs:

There's a little wheel turning in my heart
There's a little wheel turning in my heart
In my heart, in my heart
There's a little wheel turning in my heart

There's a little dancer dancing in my heart
There's a little dancer dancing in my heart
In my heart, in my heart
There's a little dancer dancing in my heart

There's a little baby who stole my heart
There's a little baby who stole my heart
Norah bear, she stole my heart
My sweet Norah stole my heart*

Sweet, right? I would sing, she would bury her head in my neck and life was good. Until about a week and a half ago when every time I would start to sing she would say, 'STOP, PLEASE.' And when I kept going, 'MOMMY, STOP. STOP PLEASE!' Apparently Norah isn't into my song anymore. Instead she requests 'We are the Dinosaurs' or 'If You're Happy and You Know It' (the latter can go on for an hour if I let it. After we go through clapping hands, stomping feet, touching toes, kissing knees, etc etc we move on to shouting things. Nothing says a happy kid like, 'if you're happy and you know it say ELMO!')

Don't get me wrong, I love that she's turning into a full fledged kid. I like being able to communicate with her, I love that she's more independent. I love that she eats pretty much any and all food with reckless abandon. I just want to sing her my damn song!

Picture is unrelated but Pam just sent it to me a few minutes ago and it makes me laugh.

*This is Norah's official baby book so if I don't write it down here chances are good it will be lost forever.

5 comments:

on the verge said...

Hmmm ... I have to say Norah has good taste in music. That dinosaur song is one of my favorites, too.

JAMS' HOUSE said...

Damn those dinosaurs.

k-dog studios said...

I get a big "NOOOO" these days when I try to sing our own song (modified barney meets "this old man..."). I'm hoping it's a phase. And on the plus side, at least she's not telling you to stop singing altogether.

Ave said...

Those toddlers are ornery ones! Lilah has very definite ideas about when I am permitted to sing. She went through a period of a few weeks where I was not allowed to sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. All I got was "No Mama Tinkle."

cam said...

I totally know what you mean. Emma slams my fingers in her, ok my, favorite bedtime books. I guess this beings a lifetime of broken hearts.