Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Big Girl Update

We didn't hear a peep out of Norah last night until about 3:00 am. At 3:00 am there was blood-curdling screaming, screaming, SCREAMING. BVZ thinks he heard a big thud but no one can say for sure. I flew out of bed and immediately landed right on my ass (I was very much asleep and very disoriented). I then started to run like crazy and slipped on my shirt from the night before which I had carelessly thrown on the floor-BVZ would lecture me about this later-and landed square on my left knee. Despite my two roadblocks I still made it to Norah's room before BVZ did (and he was in a hurry as well). That's superhuman mom strength for you.

She was standing in the middle of the room screaming for us and when I asked her what happened she could only say owie, owie, owie, owie. I asked her what she hit and she said 'wood floor.' HA. Our best guess is that she rolled out of bed. There is no way she could have fallen if she was trying to get down, so she must have tumbled out. I think it scared her more than anything, especially considering the fact that when it happened her room was completely dark (apparently the multiple night lights I set up around the room go off at some point-not my intention). She refused to get back into bed until I told her that she could watch the Elmo Sleepy video on my phone (Andrea Bocelli sings Elmo a lullaby-it's a big hit), and then she snuggled in, watched the video, I gave her a million kisses and left.

She was good again until about 5:30 am when I opened my eyes to her at my side of the bed. I was actually really glad to see her. We snuggled for about a half hour until she decided it was time to start the day (we are lucky-she usually sleeps until at least 7:00). BVZ decided to be a saint and got up with her and took a walk around the neighborhood to check out the fog.

All things considered I am still calling it a big success.

2 comments:

Isabelle Baeck said...

Is there a rail for the convertible bed? Ours has one that swings up once they're in (it's less than a foot high). Only spans about 2/3 of the length, so they need to navigate to get out.
Congrats on your first night in a big girl bed, Norah!!!

Kristy said...

Whoo Hoo! This has given me motivation to convert Olivia's bed. My only hesitation is that I'm not going to lie, I like that it's like a "cage"that she can't get out of. I know that sounds horrible but this girl gets into everything. The thought of her roaming at night is scary to me, especially since she is also into opening and closing doors - including the front door. Ok, just talked myself back out of this idea.