Friday, November 05, 2010

She Never Had a Chance

I am the first person to admit that I am a terrible girl. I know nothing (and can't bring myself to care too much) about fashion and/or beauty paraphernalia. I can't even begin to count the number of hair products I have gotten conned into buying after getting a hair cut that I have never again used. My closet consists of 9,000 variations of the same black shirt. I am certainly not a tomboy, I think I am just....well, neutral. I blame it on two things: 1) Bubby was a terrible girly role model (this is the woman who uses rubbing alcohol as face toner), and 2) I figured out from a very early age that smart and funny worked for me, and so I embraced that. Being a girly girl seems like a whole lot of work to me.

Certainly we teach our kids what we know and although I am 100% fine with it if Norah wants to embrace her feminine side, we haven't done stuff like hair bows, frilly clothes, lot of princesses, etc. because it just isn't my style. I don't have a problem with it, it just isn't what comes naturally to me. Today we spent the morning cleaning out the bathroom cabinets and Norah came across a package of little girl hair bands and asked me to give her pony tails.

I tried.

I tried my best, but pony tails are hard! Especially with curly hair. One was normal sized but the other was a runt. And there was lots of hair not in either tail.

It looked much better from a distance.

I will keep trying, I promise.

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

I think she looks adorable, having two different sizes is part of the charm. I'll teach you how to french braid next month!!!

Natalie said...

I am not great with stuff like that either. I've had the same hair style since high school. Thinking about having to do a little girl's hair makes me cringe. I'm better with make-up, althouh only from Walgreens and Target. I've never bought department store make-up.

Isabelle Baeck said...

they're perfect & super cute. even-keeled pigtails are overrated!

Maryellen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maryellen said...

J, believe it or not I think you're plenty girly. Maybe because I too can relate to the bazillion versions of black shirts in my closet. Black rocks. Also, Marsha allowed me to use baby powder on my face instead of the regular powder girls are supposed to use. She also said to just shave to the knee. That's just not very sexy.

I think Norah's pony tails are completely adorable.

P.S. I'm the deleted comment.

Tucker said...

This is hilarious. These pig tails are a hundred times better than the alternative chili bowl haircut, ha!