Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Funkhouser Update: Week 24

Funkhouser had his 5th echo cardiogram this morning and we got the excellent news that the anatomy of his heart is fully formed and is completely normal. Unless I am a freak of nature (which, of course is not beyond the realm of possibility), that will not change. So, now they are just looking at the electrical impulse/heart beat and today's scan lasted a mere half hour. I go back again at 26 weeks, then not until 30 weeks, and then again at 34 weeks. At that point Funkhouser will 'graduate' from the heart center. Of course that's what we are hoping for (and expecting), but a part of me has found the every other week scans to be very reassuring and I will be a little disappointed when they end.

I saw a different cardiologist today and we chatted a bit about my history because he says that autoimmune disorders are very interesting to physicians because the symptoms vary so much from patient to patient. He said in his 30+ years at Stanford he has only seen 2 babies with heart blocks and has seen thousands upon thousands of moms with Lupus, et al. That made me love him. He asked lots of questions about the rash/hives nightmare that happened with Norah and said, 'Yeah. That's probably going to happen again.' That made me want to kick him in the nuts.

How far along?
: 24 weeks.

Weight: God only knows. In a few short weeks I have gone from 'it looks like that lady just ate a giant sandwich' to 'start boiling water and getting fresh towels now!' Funkhouser is huge. Norah and I got hot chocolate at Starbucks the other day and the barista asked me when I was due. I said March and she gave me the 'yikes, you are a house' look. I wanted to say, 'um, BEGINNING of March, asshole.' But alas, I refrained.

Sleep: Pretty terrible. I am just generally uncomfortable and the weather here keeps going from freezing cold to super hot so we are all consistently sick. I have pretty severe heartburn and random aches and pains all over the place.

Gender: A cute little boy.

Movement: He is as active as Norah was mellow. He is still breech and so when he kicks his legs and feet it feels like a sharp karate chop right to the crotch.

Feeling: Eh, fine. I am really, really trying to suck it up and enjoy the whole experience since it will be the last time I ever do it. Part of me is just holding my breath waiting for it all to go to hell at the end like last time, but then a bigger part of me is trying not to blame Funkhouser for the sins of his sister. Ha.

Food Cravings: Dessert. Mmmmmm, dessert.

Fetal fruit: Papaya.

In other news, we have decided we are definitely doing the repeat c-section and are on the hospital schedule for March 1. Very exciting!

5 comments:

Natalie said...

Your comment under "feelings" is exactly why I haven't had another baby yet. I'm scared to death of doing it again after having survived Spencer's infancy.

Such great news about the heart! I love modern medicine.

Tucker said...

Go Funky!!!

Jennifer said...

So glad to hear that all is well with Funkhouser!

Nayoung said...

Still can't believe that Norah's going to be a big sister!!

Maryellen said...

I love your updates. I also love that you included nuts and asshole in one post. It doesn't get better than that.