Wednesday, April 29, 2009

#40: Make All Of Norah's Food Until Her First Birthday (FAIL)

When Norah first started to eat solid food I spent a lot of time, money, and energy making all of her purees. I loved it. I loved shopping for the perfect fruits and veggies for her and then staying up late chopping, steaming, pureeing, and freezing. I like to think she liked it too. Then one day while we were at Whole Foods I picked up a couple of jars of Earth's Best baby food to have on hand 'just in case.' One Saturday night I gave her a jar of pears and mangos because I didn't have time to make a batch of pears and mangos. If she could have licked the jar clean she would have.

A month or so later I was running out of ideas for what to make her, so I browsed the Earth's Best jars to steal their combination ideas. That's when I figured out that 'Summer Vegetable Dinner' has NINE organic vegetables! There is no way I could make the equivalent of that for only 89 cents a serving. Then when she started to eat meat and I was totally skeeved out at the idea of pureeing meat, low and behold, Earth's Best makes like 10 different dinners with meat. I was sold.

Now she primarily enjoys the finger foods, but I like to get the purees into her while I can. And she gets Earth's Best. And I felt guilty about it not even for a split second.


3 comments:

JAMS' HOUSE said...

Mangoes and pears is baby crack.

Jennifer said...

If Norah hasn't tried the sweet potatoes and chicken . . . you should give it a try. That was Eliza's very favorite . . .talk about licking the bowl clean. . .

Jennifer said...

Also if you are looking for recipes to cook for Norah this is a great source

http://www.ittybittybistro.com/