Sunday, February 08, 2009

I Love My Little Boy

I have complained before about how Norah always gets mistaken for a little boy, but now it is starting to get ridiculous. We went to a birthday party today and she wore jeans, PINK shoes with white FLOWERS, and a PINK striped sweater (see below for the sweater, pictures aren't the best because she was trying to eat the camera).


Despite what I thought was a feminine outfit, however, no less than FOUR people at the party asked how old HE was. Seriously, people! To one person I said, 'She's 7 months, her name is Norah.' To which this person replied, 'Hi Norm. You are so cute.' She's lucky she was old or I might have taken her down.

BVZ and I talked about it at length the other day and he thinks it's her hair (which he says reminds him of his Uncle Bob's). Maybe so, but I am just thankful she has hair these days. It is too short for bows or any other kind of girl accessory, so I suppose we'll just keep correcting people for the time being. I don't know why I am so surprised we have this problem. When I was a baby I looked like Tom Hulce. Seriously. Looked just like him. Not so much how he looks these days, but when he was in the movie Amadeus in the mid-1980's, it was like looking into a baby mirror.

6 comments:

Maryellen said...

I can imagine how annoying it must be for you guys because it's annoying for us when people refer to Kita as "He" and she's our dog not our daughter...Norah doesn't look like a boy at all!

Who made the connection between you as a baby and looking like Tom Hulce in Amadeus? That's hilarious!

The GVZs said...

Mare--years ago I was at my mom's house looking at old pictures and I was like, 'damn I looked like Tom Hulce!' It made her so mad. HA.

JM said...

NORM!!!

Anonymous said...

At least a boy is human. The other day I had an appointment with my financial adviser. He seemed surprised I was alone. I told him Ruby was at home with my dad to which he replied, "It's okay...dogs aren't allowed in the office."

Anonymous said...

As far as people calling her a boy while she is dressed in pink - my only response is "Some people are just idiots!" During a Christmas party we attended, a man asked if Eliza was a boy or a girl. His daughter, who was standing right next to him replied, "Dad, she is wearing a dress and a bow!" IDIOTS!

When it comes to hair - I am pretty sure Eliza would win the bald baby duel. She really has no hair and she is almost a year old. I just hope that she will have hair by the time she goes to kindergarten.
-JTS

on the verge said...

Aw, being androgynous is the best part of being a baby -- no gender roles to have to fulfill! But if it really bugs ya, you can always dress her in froofy-pink baby prom dresses. Or t-shirts that say "diva."