Thursday, February 24, 2011

Norah Daze

It has been a fun (and exhausting) week with Norah-and it's only Thursday. She's a fun person to spend time with and has limitless energy.

We've been taking a lot of walks and searching every puddle for worms.


aOn Tuesday we went to see Gnomeo and Juliet. It was painful to watch (for me) but Norah was in seventh heaven. The theater was packed (school kids are on break this week) and we sat next to a dad and his 7 year old who got antsy half way through the film. He couldn't believe Norah was only 2.5 and could sit transfixed for an hour and a half. She's my movie junk head.


s
She has been asking to take a bath about 40 times a day. She will say, 'can I please have a warm and lovely bath?' I have been indulging her once in the morning and then again before bed. She would be happy to play with her ducks in there for hours if I let her.

We have taken LOTS of bike rides. After about 3 minutes she refuses to pedal and demands that I push her.

We have spent lots of time at the park, playing on the structure and watching dogs running around.



Her new favorite trick is to have me twist the chains on the swing as far as they will go and then let her spin back the other way. I don't blame her, it was one of my all time favorite things to do as a kid.



We have done lots of lounging in our pj's (or as Norah calls them, kajamas).

We bought a second hand double stroller off of someone in my mom's club. I didn't want to invest much in a double since Norah rarely will use a stroller, but I thought it might be handy to have. With this one, the infant seat snaps into the top and then there is a shelf for the older kid to sit on without having to be completely strapped in (the strapping in is the biggest thing she objects to-this thing has a seat belt but not the 5 point harness she is used to). She is obsessed with it and likes to load up the basket with her toys and pretends to 'be the baby' and ride in the front.

We've done some serious movie watching. I don't need to see 101 Dalmatians again for the next 50 years.


We've also done some serious non-napping. This is Norah's new idea of a nap-laying on the couch. Yesterday she was way over tired and I had spent about a half hour trying to cajole her into either laying in her bed or mine. She was having none of it. I finally asked her, 'why do you take such a good nap for Pamma but not for me??' She thought about it for a bit and then said, 'because Pamma is the BOSS.' I couldn't help but laugh. Then before I cried I told her if she didn't lay down and close her eyes she was not going to be allowed to watch tv for the rest of her life. Within 5 minutes she was zonked out for over 2 hours.

She's been "doing the laundry" (ie, gathering whatever she can find in her basket and dumping it in the sun room).

We've been doing a lot of playing in her room.

And flossing teeth.

And rearranging things.


And elaborate re-enactments with her Toy Story dolls and Beauty and the Beast figurines.


Not pictured: ritualized torture of the cat, hours of play with the match box car from the Cheerios box, 14,000 started but not finished art projects, lots of dress up, a close examination of every piece of clothing in her dresser, reading 29,457 books, making forts, dancing and singing, a daily Target run, checking on all of Funkhouser's toys to make sure they are still there, lasagna making, taking 'x-rays' of all her stuffed animals, soccer playing, and jumping on the bed.

In other news, we are set to get the coldest cold front in like 60 years this weekend. There might even be snow! I find this particularly ironic because when Norah was born we were in the middle of a record setting heat wave. I guess we are all about the extremes.

5 comments:

k-dog studios said...

i'm exhausted just reading it...and I'm not 9mos. pregnant! fun times

Tucker said...

Wow! What a good time. I love your double stroller! Norah is going to be the best big sister.

Cam said...

You are a great mom!

Nita_Gilger said...

Great moments. Wonderful memories.

Natalie said...

What a wonderful start to maternity leave. I want to take Spencer to see Gnomeo and Juliet, but now I'm scared based on your description. Maybe lots of snacks will help me get through it.