Monday, May 30, 2011

Marriage

We went on a family hike today. I agreed to go because it wasn't hot (almost June and it still is mostly still in the 60's. Love, love, LOVE). Anyway, this was the first "real" hike we've taken Norah on where she's gotten to walk, as opposed to being strapped to someone's back. (Clearly we haven't been on a hike in a while). She loved it and we spent almost 3 hours on the trail because we had to stop every minute and a half to appreciate nature from an almost 3 year old's point of view. Which was very awesome because were it not for her pace we would have totally missed out on seeing a family of banana slugs. I had never seen a banana slug before. They are totally disgusting and very cool.

Anyway, on the way back down, BVZ and Louis went ahead because Lou was in the carrier and getting fussy every time BVZ stopped walking. Which meant that Norah and I were left alone to enjoy her snail's pace and talk about all of the things on her mind. We passed two guys with a baby in a jogging stroller. They were clearly a couple and as we passed them Norah asked which one was the daddy. I told her that I thought they were both the daddy, and just like we learned from her book about all kind of different families, some kids have a mom and a dad, some kids have two moms, and some kids have two dads (we haven't yet gotten to just a mom or just a dad, because I don't want to freak her out unnecessarily).

She asked if they were married and I said that I didn't know but maybe they were. This led to a discussion about how she wants me to give her my wedding dress when she grows up. I told her that she absolutely can have my wedding dress and she can marry anyone that she wants to marry as long as she waits until she is at least 30. She then very adamantly announced that when she is 30 she is going to wear my dress and get married to....Louis.

We'll save that talk for another day.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Well... You DID say she can't marry anyone she wants to ;p

Kristy said...

We're in the same boat. Olivia announced the other day that when she grows up she is going to be the queen and Juliana will be the King.????

Maryellen said...

I love that I'm getting to catch up on your posts. This one made me laugh!

Don't worry, she won't really want to marry Lou when she comes to marrying age. Just like I no longer wanted to marry my mom's friend's dog when I got to marrying age.