Sunday, May 15, 2011

Happy Birthday BVZ

BVZ's birthday Saturday started out with Norah and I making a Starbucks run. Usually I try and dissuade him from getting his favorite drink (White Chocolate Mocha) because it has like 9,000 calories in it, but this time I actually went and got it for him (although I get skim milk for him, not 2% like he requests and he is none the wiser).

It was kind of a dreary day but we had been talking about going to Vasona Park in Los Gatos for forever, so we figured it was now or never. It was about a 40 minute drive and the parking lot had maybe 20 spaces (thanks, bay area), so we drove around for another 10 looking for a spot on the street. Norah saw Shrek recently and there is a scene where the Donkey says 'are we there yet' about a hundred times and she just thinks re-enacting it is hilarious. I don't necessarily share her sentiment.

It's a big park and despite the crummy weather it was very crowded. Lots of parties going on. There is a great playground with 2 large play structures. I don't know if she isn't fully recovered from being sick, or what, but Norah has been a stage 5 clinger this past week. She's been super duper sensitive and cries at the stupidest things (which is totally not like her). I am hoping once she's back to 100%, we'll get our happy and jovial girl back because this one is driving me bananas.

She wanted nothing to do with the play structure ("too scary"-again, odd for her) and so she played on the swings and on the train and fire truck structures.

She sat in the train car for 20 minutes or so and made friends with all of the kids who came in and sat at the table with her. She would ask their name and then offer them tea.


We walked the length of the park to the carousel in the back. It's an old historic carousel, which is very cool. What is not very cool is that they made me go with her since she was less than 40 inches tall (I would have gone anyway), and I had to buy a ticket to stand there next to her. A $4 carousel ride. Anyway, I helped her climb up the horse she picked and as soon as she was strapped in she FREAKED OUT. Like on the verge of tears freaked out. Thankfully she rallied and agreed to at least try it.

Her rally face.

She then wanted to ride the train, so I stayed with Lou and she and BVZ hopped on.

Apparently 30 seconds into the ride she freaked out and started yelling for me. Luckily, she had a quick recovery and enjoyed the rest of the ride.

Home for naps and then Norah and I went up the street to get groceries for dinner and a cake. Salmon for BVZ and Norah and Halibut for me (I hate Salmon).

With garlic mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli. Clearly, we need to work on portion control.

We got BVZ an ice cream cake from Baskin Robbins, which is starting to be a family birthday tradition. There weren't a lot of options, which is why we ended up with the pastel rose one. The guys working at the ice cream shop was less than a, well, enthusiastic employee. Rather, he was altogether annoyed to be there. I called him the Honey Badger (ie, Honey Badger don't give a s%*t....do NOT click the link if you are 1) at work, 2) easily offended, or 3) are my mother. Seriously). Anyway, at the store I asked Norah what the cake should say and she said, 'Happy Birthday, Brian.' Ha. I asked her if she wanted it to say 'Happy Birthday, Dad' and she said no because his name is Brian. Ha, ha. The Honey Badger clearly only listened to half of our conversation and ended up writing 'Happy Birthday, Dad.' Or at least I think that's what he wrote. His cake penmanship sucked.

We all enjoyed the cake nevertheless and BVZ said it was one of his best birthdays ever.*

*He didn't get any gifts on his actual birthday because he had already received two. First, several weeks ago Louis had an AWFUL night (like waking up every 15 minutes or something barbaric like that). The next day was a Friday and so after work I sent BVZ to a swanky hotel where he got to watch whatever he wanted on tv, eat whatever he wanted for dinner, and sleep through the night. I figured that was the best birthday gift he could get. Also, he got to take himself to a Giants game this past week (in a great seat), so he's good for a while....

1 comment:

Natalie said...

The hotel is an amazing gift and you are a better wife than I for giving it to him. Now, will you give me the same thing for my bday even if you're not my wife and we've never technically "met"?