Friday, March 18, 2011

Stealing the Show (and Barf)

We had a friend take newborn pictures of Louis the other day. I won't post them just yet because I want to wait until we send out his birth announcement, but they are super cute and sweet. Of course, someone else had to get in on the action and I think we ended up with more pictures of the toddler than the newborn. She's just so damn photogenic. Here are a few of my favorites:





She was quite the ham. I would post more but they each take like 10 minutes to upload and seriously. Who has that kind of time?

Louis is doing well. He had his 2 week pediatrician appointment on Tuesday and has regained his birth weight and then some. He still can't latch and we are bottle feeding breast milk and supplementing formula when necessary. His doctor says that if he is going to figure out how to get the good stuff straight from the source he will figure it out by a month. So, that's what we are shooting for and will re-evaluate our options at that point.

He is the gassiest baby I have ever met. Holy smokes. He burps like a drunken hobo and farts like his dad (ie, it's bad). His gut still hasn't adjusted to the outside world, I think because he gets really uncomfortable when he can't get the massive amounts of gas out. He has a bit of acid reflux, but it isn't something his pediatrician is worried about at this point-she says in the next couple of weeks it will either get much better or much worse (and we'll deal with it then).

He spits up a lot. And by that I mean a lot, a lot. Obviously we only have Norah to compare him to and she never spit up at all (okay, maybe once or twice), but this kid barfs a LOT. Usually down my shirt or in my hair. The other night I was convinced he was the exorcist because of the amount of vomit that came out of his little mouth. Norah likes to announce when and where he throws up, ie, "our baby just barfed all over the couch." My girlfriends gave her a book about being a big sister before Louis was born and it refers to the baby as "our" baby and so she does too. It's pretty cute. Especially when she told the neighbor who brought over a little gift, "our baby just barfed all over his gym." We still have the baby scale from Norah's newborn days (when I would weigh her, oh, every hour or so), and I put him on it today. With all of his clothes on he was like 9 lbs, 5 ozs-so maybe in reality right about 9 lbs. So, I guess the barfing isn't affecting him too much.

He is still pretty sleepy and doing 3 to 3.5 hour stretches at night. Can't complain about that, especially given the fact that even though I deal with him all night* I get to hand him off to Bubby at 5:30 or 6:00 am and then sleep until about 10:00. We are never letting her go home. False imprisonment, be damned.

*I gave BVZ a pass this week on waking up at night because 1) he went back to work, 2) Louis is sleeping with us, so BVZ does wake up when he cries and even though he gets to roll over and go back to sleep, it's still disturbed sleep, and 3) for as awesome of a dad as he is, BVZ sucks hard in the middle of the night. Case in point-last night Louis cried and we both woke up. BVZ said 'do you want me to do anything?' and I told him to go warm up a bottle. He was gone at least 15 minutes and Lou was SCREAMING by this point. BVZ walked back in the room and got into bed without a bottle in sight. Turns out he got up, peed, got a glass of water, checked the lock on the front door, and completely forgot he was supposed to warm up a bottle. Oy vey.

6 comments:

k-dog studios said...

i can't agree more - norah is ridiculously photogenic. those blue eyes and curly hair!!!! love the new GVZ blog photo.

Stephanie said...

I LOVE the pic N laying on her stomach. Send me a copy please. Also love the new header picture, can't wait for L's announcement

JAMS' HOUSE said...

What sweet pictures

aileen said...

Very photogenic girl you have and such a ham.

Kristin said...

You should have at least three more.

Jennifer said...

Those photos of your sweet babies are just gorgeous! I am so in love with Norah's hair. I am sure when she is a teenager she will hate it - but I am seriously jealous.

I LOVE the new header picture - so sweet.

This post made me laugh and remember when E was a baby. She was a gold medalist when it came to spit up. Glad you have Norah to warn people about the vomit!