Saturday, March 26, 2011

Hitting the Wall (Literally)

When Norah was born it was 9 million degrees outside and so she spent the first month of her life in a diaper or lightweight onesie. She was a big baby anyway, and so by the time she was wearing actual clothes she was solidly into 3 to 6 month sizes. We assumed Louis would be just as big and so we didn't bother with anything in a newborn size. He surprised us by being just 8 lbs., 4 ozs (not small by any means, but not gigantoid either) and Mother Nature surprised us by making the weather rainy and pretty cold.

So, basically he has a room stocked with super cute clothes but only a handful of things he can actually wear right now. I don't want to buy him a bunch of stuff because he's growing fast and I know will only wear newborn clothes for about 2 more weeks. Cousin Reid sent Lou his favorite sleeper and Lou has been wearing the hell out of it. Bubby washes it pretty much every night (because of the barfing).

It is already getting a little tight though and the sleeves are way too short (Louis suffers from the same affliction that BVZ does-super long ape arms). Bubby has been on the hunt for newborn sleepers that are that fleece material, but has thus far been unsuccessful. On Friday she convinced me we needed to go to the Carter's store to look for pj's. Carter's is far away by my standards (like 20 minutes) and I balked at that fact, but Bubby told me to nut up and we loaded both kids in the car.

This was in lieu of Norah's nap. I thought she might sleep in the car. She did not. We made it to the Carter's store and they did not (shockingly) have newborn fleece sleepers. They did, however, have plastic pink binoculars, which we ended up leaving with.

Here is Norah later modeling her binoculars. Two interesting things evident in this picture: first, her pants are on backwards. I tried to convince her to put them on correctly, but she told me "I like them that way." It wasn't worth the fight, so she wore them that way all day. Also, check out her shoes. She had been complaining that her feet hurt so last weekend we took her to get new shoes. She had been wearing a 6.5. They measured her at a 8.5. Whoops. Anyway, we went to the mall on a day when it was pouring rain (like it has been for 3 weeks) and everyone and their brother had the same idea. I would have bought anything to get out of the crazy madhouse that was the mall, which is why we ended up with sparkly pink Stride Rites.

Anyway, after Carter's Bubby convinced me we should check out Kohl's. Against my better judgment and general rule of thumb (never take kids on more than one errand at a time), I agreed. Everyone did okay for about 15 minutes and then Louis started to fuss so I pulled the plug and we headed out. Then Lou started to scream and thrash around in his stroller. Then he started to yell so loud people were giving us the side eye. Bubby got him out of his seat and we started walking a little bit faster towards the exit.

Norah asked if she could run and I told her to have at it. Now, the kid runs FAST. She got BVZ's running genes, not mine, and can really book it. She started running down the corridor at Kohl's and headed straight for a display of necklaces that was in the middle. Now, as I watched her run I thought, there's no way she doesn't see that. I mean, she's not blind. There is a giant display of necklaces RIGHT THERE. She got closer and closer and I reassured myself she would stop, or turn, or do something to avoid running right into it.

Well, she didn't. She slammed right into the display. Like, RIGHT into it. She collapsed and screamed and I flew to her and scooped her right up (so much for that not picking up anything over 10 lbs for 8 weeks thing....) After a few minutes I peeled her away from me expecting to see a face full of blood. After all, this display had metal stakes jutting out with the necklaces hanging on them. She was fine, just a little shaken up. After I knew she was okay I couldn't help but laugh. I mean, she ran RIGHT into it. WTF? It reminded me of when cousin Megan would ride her bike around her block and run into the same pole every.single.time. It must be something in the gene pool.

So, Norah was screaming and Lou was screaming and we slunk out of the store averting eye contact with anyone. And that is the reason that I don't plan on taking both kids anywhere outside of the house by myself for at least 6 months. Maybe a year.

Norah was fine and recovered at the park nicely. Louis still doesn't have pajamas that fit.

4 comments:

Natalie said...

Oh my GAWD that is a horrible story. Poor Norah. I wonder if she'll have some strange bruises from the experience.

Also, I don't know that it gets easier to take them out together until they're like 6 and 9. Sorry.

Nita_Gilger said...

You are hilarious! I laughed until I cried reading this. Love your blog. What a treat to be able to keep up with a day in the life of. Hang in there!!

Stephanie said...

Oh please, please hope that Norah and Megan don't share the oblivious gene. That freakin' pole was my nemesis.

Tucker said...

Hahahahaha! I am sending you R's fleece sleepers in the mail tomorrow.