Monday, October 13, 2008

The Last Unicorn

Remember that awesome, yet slightly creepy animated film from the early '80's called 'The Last Unicorn?' There was a character in it, a butterfly if I remember correctly, that sang everything he said. They weren't traditional songs necessarily, but all of his speech was set to melody. I have become that butterfly around Norah. She responds really well to my singing (scary as it might be), so I find myself singing just about all my words to her. For some reason my go-to melodies seem to be Donny Osmond's 'I think I love you' and Salt n Pepa's 'Push It.' There's no accounting for taste, I suppose.

2 comments:

Button said...

"1,2,3, O' Leary! won't you come home Bill Bailey, won't you come home? My Wild Irish Rose! The King is in his counting house, counting out, counting out, counting..."

That is what that crazy ass butterfly says, some of it. It's burned into my brain from watching TLU a hundred times when I was little. How tripped out!?! Harpies, manticores, drunken skeletons, Angela Landsbury, the Red Bull?? I mean, it even stars the Big Lebowski- the Dude himself!!!

The band "America" does the sound track for that and for the animated "The Hobbit" and when I was seven I thought they were the shiznit.

On the mommy note, they should send you home from the hospital with a lullaby playlist. Griffin's first song was "Folsom Prison Blues" followed by old school Janes Addiction. BTW, Norah's
pumpkin outfit is stoopid cute!

Huh? I should be sleeping instead of reading baby blogs! You're a new mama, you know what I mean. :)

Ave said...

For some reason, the fact that you sing Push It to Norah made me really wish that Barry read your blog, 'cause I think he would find that hella funny.