Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Memorial Day Road Trip

We spent Memorial Day weekend in South Lake Tahoe where our friends, the W's have a vacation home (doesn't that sound awesome-'we stayed at our friend's vacation home...') We stayed there a few years ago when we went to a wedding up there and that time the trip took about 4 hours. This time it took about 6 and a half hours because of all of the stops we had to make. And by we, I mean I. We first stopped for gas because I had failed to fill up like I was supposed to (I hate getting gas), then we stopped because I wanted to have lunch at In and Out, then we stopped because I needed coffee, and then we stopped because I had to pee. BVZ's head was about to explode.

Here is Norah enjoying In and Out for the first time. She was just so-so about it.

Look at all of that snow!


The only thing on the agenda the entire weekend was relaxing and the front yard proved to be a good place for a little soccer practice.





Norah spent the majority of time either running...

or collecting pine cones.

We took a very scenic and steep hike from the top of a vista point down to the lake. I carried Norah in the Ergo on the way down and BVZ carried her back up. I thought I might die but I had to keep my complaining to a minimum since there were other people around.

Check out Baby Wyatt in his 6 month old glory.


The lake was beautiful, but freezing.


Norah didn't care and ripped her socks and shoes off.



Baby Kai, who just turned one, was not satisfied to wade in the water-he wanted to swim.

Norah collected sticks for everyone.


Kai literally had to be restrained by his mom.


We ate lunch at a picnic table with the most aggressive chipmunks I have ever seen. They were tiny, but mean! They would jump on the table to try and steal food and we were seriously afraid they were going to attack one of the kids. BVZ got a stick and starting shaking it at them to try and scare them away, but they weren't phased one bit. He even hit one! (sort of accidentally) but it didn't stop it from continuing to charge. We actually packed up and left because they were so aggressive. We were in their space, so I guess we couldn't really blame them.

Norah spent most of the time at the house loving on the babies. She couldn't get enough of them. She woke up from her naps and in the mornings with 'Go upstairs, see babies NOW!' She and Kai liked chasing each other around. Wyatt couldn't move very fast, but his feet were perfect for tickling.


We took lots of long walks. Mostly to get ice cream.

The Dad brigade.

Norah probably kissed Wyatt on the mouth 5,678 times. Hope he has a good immune system.



The drive home was much faster and we actually only made one stop to eat dinner at a random Applebee's. Now, I have eaten at some of the best places in Paris and some of the worst places in El Paso and so I feel I can appreciate both ends of a very wide spectrum. Applebee's definitely falls on one side of the curve. I know this, I expect this, and I have made peace with this. BVZ, however, gets honestly disappointed every time we road trip eat at a place like Applebee's and it's not great. He has high expectations, I guess. Norah was similarly unimpressed.

It was a great trip and a fun weekend. Thanks W's for your hospitality!

2 comments:

TSG said...

Don't knock Chico's! It's a pretty enjoyable way to add inches to your wasteline.

Maryellen said...

I'm also upset with your Chico's reference. Where's the love for EP Mexican food? I brag about it all the time.

Your Memorial Day weekend looks like it was AWESOME. Way to make the most of your time off.