Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Icky, Sticky, Sicky Girl

Aunt Kristin got to town on Friday. We've had a lovely time with her here, even despite the fact that on Monday she seemed to be feeling a little under the weather. But, I had to go to work on Tuesday and so Auntie K and Norah were left to have a fabulous day. Which they did. But, by the time I got home at 5:00 pm, Norah was really off. Not eating, feverish, glazed eyes, really sad and grumpy.

Last night we had a sick, sick, sick baby. She ran a 103.5 degree fever, puked more than once (straight down my back--Tylenol makes her gag), cried and thrashed, etc. It was a tough night. The advice nurse assured us that it was something she just had to work through and to not panic until she reached a 105 degree fever. I have no ability not to panic. I stayed home from work today and although she had a few moments when I thought she might be on the mend, for the most part she stayed really sick. I made a big mistake this afternoon by deciding that we needed a field trip to get out of the house and should go to Target. Bad idea. By the time we got home it was clear we weren't getting out of this without a trip to urgent care.

Convinced it was the swine flu, I threw her in the car (and considered quarantining Auntie K) and took her in. She doesn't have the swine flu. She does, however, have a severe ear infection in one ear. Are you kidding me? Over the past 13 months I have spent approximately $18,000 on co-pays just to have the doctor tell me she doesn't have an ear infection. The ONE TIME I don't even consider it to be a possibility is the one time she actually has one. I am bummed our perfect record is now broken, but so thankful I know what's wrong with her.

She got dosed up with Motrin before we left (I know it is controversial, but man, that shit works) and picked up her antibiotic on the way home. Thirty minutes later and I had my baby back. I found these awesome itty bitty popsicles at the store and that's what she is walking around with. Adorable.

6 comments:

aileen said...

Get better soon Norah! Antibiotics and ear infections aren't bad at all. Caleb has had 2 or 3? I've already lost count!

Isabelle Baeck said...

So relived that Norah's on the mend. Hope you are doing ok!

Jennifer said...

I am glad to hear that Miss Norah is on the mend. I can't believe that she has never had an ear infection before . . . .Eliza has had about a million . . . well OK not a million but probably 9 or 10.

I am right there with you on the Motrin. I always worry a little bit when I have to give to Eliza but Tylenol does nothing for you and the motrin ALWAYS works.

Hope Auntie K is feeling better too!

JAMS' HOUSE said...

Popsicles help everything!

Kenneth Jones said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
on the verge said...

Wait a minute, she's walking? People, that's what you lead with! That's your top story -- not the ear infection. C'mon, that's a page 2 or 3 story, at best. But she's walking? Wow. Watch out world, Storkbite's on the loose!