Monday, July 06, 2009

Holiday Weekend

We had an action packed three day weekend. I almost need a three day weekend to recover from it.

On Friday we trekked across the bay to visit Uncles Dick and Alan and Kate. Kate made us a fabulous rooftop lunch and Norah had a fabulous time entertaining her great uncles.

Now, these guys are serious world travelers and they have a house full of 60 years of treasures. Of course, everything Norah laid her eyes on she wanted. This was her favorite. A gong (from Mongolia, maybe?) is literally a dream come true for a one year old.


Then Uncle Alan entranced her with a music box.

She left with some very special treasures. I have a feeling it won't be the last time.

On Saturday we had the good fortune of spending the day with our very favorite baby friends. We enjoyed fabulous food and excellent company and commiserated about how miserable we all were the last Fourth of July (three of us were freaking out with newborns and two others were misereably pregnant). The babies had an awesome time and managed to destroy the Stones' screen door in the process.

Ruby knows how to party.



The Baeks recently got back from a trip home to Sweden. Because they rule they brought each baby an awesome star romper. The babies all wore their patriotic rompers and we thought it would be easy and cute to get a picture of them all together.

Thank goodness other people were there to rescue my child while I took pictures....

I think this was the best picture of the lot.

And then they were off again.

Dessert was homemade peach ice cream. After I had given Norah a few bites I found out it had vodka in it. So, I gave her some more. The kid has got to sleep sometime, right? (I kid, I kid--it had like 2 tablespoons of vodka in the whole gigantic batch).

It was one of my favorite Fourth of July's in recent memory.

On Sunday we celebrated the one year birthday of one of Norah's fabulous friends, Caroline. Norah wore a festive dress for the occasion.

It is a handmade dress sewn by a mom in Kansas who tragically lost her 10 month old daughter to cancer. She sells the dresses on Etsy and each time she posts a lot of them they are sold out within minutes. I feel very honored to have been able to get one for our girl. The proceeds benefit a playground being built in honor of little Cora, who was taken from this world too soon. Every time I think of their story I am reminded yet again just how lucky we are.

Caroline lives in a fabulous house with an even more fabulous deck. Norah spent the majority of the party running around on the deck. We used to give her a bath every day as a part of her bedtime routine. We now give her a bath every day because she is filthy.

The birthday girl was far more interested in the plates than her cake. Which was criminal because her cake was a Carvel ice cream one.

This is Norah's, 'please tell me I am getting cake' face. She got a little.

One of the other parents hesitated to give their kid the cake because it was pretty chocolatey. I told her she had nothing to fear, as I had given Norah vodka ice cream the day before. This of course came out just as I was standing next to someone else with a video camera. I guess that rules out any hope I had of running for public office someday....

3 comments:

Maryellen said...

Norah's first experience with vodka and my first experience with it are probably very similar in that neither one of us really remember it. =)

I love the pictures with the babies in their rompers. So cute!

Jennifer said...

Norah looks adorable in her "Cora Dress". I would LOVE to get another for ELiza, as the one she has is getting a little tight but I haven't been lucky a second time.

Also I don't know if you ever read Cora's moms blog - but I read it the other day and was SO happy to hear that they are going to have another baby. I used to read it their blog pretty regularly but it was making me too sad so I had to stop - so it was nice to hear that they have joy in their lives again.

Hope your first day back to work went well and please tell your mom that we said hello. Hope she is having a nice visit.

SmartAssMom said...

LOVE the "I better get cake" face.