Sunday, July 26, 2009

I've Got the Bad Baby Blues

Norah is back to not sleeping. I take that back, she's back to sleeping in 45 minute increments and otherwise screaming. This is difficult, but somewhat expected, from a 13 week old. From a 13 month old, it is downright unbearable. If you have been a faithful reader you know that Norah has always been a sub-par sleeper. We have now been downgraded to horrible sleeper. Apparently, this kind of problem brings out the unsolicited advice from all over. The following is a list of things you should NOT say to a very frustrated, very tired, working mom:

1. That's so odd. So and so's baby is [insert a number much lower than 13] months and he/she sleeps through the night just fine.

2. Well, what did you expect when you let that baby sleep with you?

3. Maybe she isn't eating enough (this just about made me stroke out).

4. She is FREEZING at night. Look at those pajamas! She is practically naked! (This was Grammy, dammit).

5. If you let her cry long enough she'll just get tired and fall asleep.

We are 'this close' to hiring a sleep consultant. It kills me to even have to consider it, but if it is between that and the loony bin (for me), it may be our last resort.

In unrelated news, we met a very big baby over the weekend. Norah is 13 months old and weighs 21 lbs. This baby is 20 months old and weighs 34 lbs. I will never complain about my petite baby again (okay, who am I kidding, of course I will complain about my petite baby again...)

5 comments:

Kristy said...

Well, this may or may not be a comfort to you, but both my daughters went through that around 13 months. And sadly, Juliana will be 3 in one month and she has had a rather rocky sleep schedule lately. I think they just go through phases. But don't you amaze yourself how you can fully function on such little sleep. I never thought it was possible!

The H's said...

One of older friends (with kids our age) says that smart babies don't waste their time sleeping. Norah just has a lot to process after dark!

Natalie said...

Hi! You don't know me- I am friends with your cousin Maryellen. I check out your blog from time to time. I don't want to give unsolicited advice, but more just let you know that you're not the only one. My son Spencer, who will be 2 in September, has always been an awful sleeper. And I mean AWFUL. I slept sitting up in a chair with him on my chest until he was 10 months. It was the ONLY way he would sleep. And I'm talking every single nap and every single night- on my chest in the lazy boy. You can not believe the advice I got. Such as, just let him lay in the crib until he falls asleep. OK, and what do I do when he's still awake 7 hours later (true story). And, just let him cry a little bit. And when he makes himself vomit after just 3 minutes of crying, should I just let him lay there in it?

When he was 10 months we finally got him in to bed with us but I still spent the entire night laying on the same side because he had to have contact with my arm. I've considered cutting my arm off just to spite him. Not really, but I've been sleep deprived for a long time.

The first time Spencer ever (and I mean EVER) slept in his crib, he was 18 months old. And the crib was pushed up next to our bed with the front removed so it's really just an extension of our bed.

I am the last person that you'd want to take advice from on how to make Norah sleep better, but hopefully it makes you feel better to hear that she is not the only one.

Spencer was also teeny tiny his whole first year. When he was 5 months old a lady asked me if he was about 6 weeks. I almost choked her. He didn't even make it on to the growth chart until 9 months and didn't make it to the 50th percentile until 18 months. I guess 18 months was a real turning point for us.

Maryellen can give you my email and/or phone number if you care to ask any questions. I do have a few tricks that worked/work for us. They might be worth a shot.

S said...

I am totally unqualified to give you any unsolicited advice, so I will simply say that I'm sorry you are going through this.

I can't imagine how hard it must be! I love sleeping.

Maryellen said...

That's so hard, I'm sorry.

If I had kids I'd probably be doing everything wrong in that department. My dog only comes to my side of the bed at night and whines because she knows I'll get up and do whatever she's wanting.

I know it's not even in the same ball park as Norah's sleep troubles but it's as close as I can get to relating.

I hope you all get some sleep soon...I don't want you in a looney bin. ;)