Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Patriot

For the past couple of weeks at Norah's school, the theme has been presidents and patriotism.  The lessons seem to be pretty non-partisan, thank goodness, and she has come home talking about things like civic responsibility (we should vote!) and community involvement (we should help other people!).  Apparently they also learned the pledge of allegiance because tonight she told me she had a surprise for me and busted this gem out:



Because I can't help myself, we also then had a discussion about what she thinks "liberty and justice for all" actually means.  I asked her what she thought those words meant and of course she did not know, so we just very generally talked about what a "right" is and who should have them, etc.  She was pretty interested in the topic and very thoughtful of the feelings of others.

My take away lesson from Norah at the end of the day was two-fold: 1) everyone should be treated the same no matter what you look like, and 2) you should be able to marry whoever you want as long as you are both 30 and the other person is not your brother, or cousin, or mom, or dad.  Norah is planning on marrying Ruby.  Or maybe they will live together in college.  She hasn't decided yet.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

I want you to know that I have beeb horrible about leaving comments lately, but I have read (and enjoyed) every single post you have written.

Is Norah going to start kindergarten this year (2013-2014)? Do you know where she is going? I keep changing my mind about what to do with Spencer. I need help.

JAMS' HOUSE said...

I love this. I suppose I should teach this to AM or better yet I'll have AM watch this and Norah can teach it to her. When we move back to the US someday and she starts singing God save the Queen, kids may look at her funny :)