Monday, November 02, 2009

Halloween Part III

We had an excellent Halloween. Every year we get a few more decorations for the yard--hopefully in 5 years or so we will have a full graveyard. The pictures when it got dark didn't turn out very well, so you'll have to settle for the (non-scary) daylight ones. We also had a smoke machine (ha!) and scary music playing.

This was my favorite purchase of the year. This is the scary lady in the pear tree. When you touch her face, her eyes light up and she screams. It was the biggest hit of the night. Norah loves her too. She's been up in the tree for a little over a week and every time Norah walks past she wants to kiss scary lady.

The zombie head and arm (and bones) light up and the heart he is holding glows and pulsates.


We have several neighbors who have become very fond of Norah, so we decided to let her 'trick or treat' to their houses. She was stoked to walk up and knock on the door.









She was even more stoked to get a piece of chocolate (and pretty pissed when I wouldn't let her eat it).

Norah can be a little shy around strangers sometimes, so I was shocked that as we walked up the block she proceeded to walk up to several more houses.

The neighborhood was completely decked out and we got a lot of good ideas for next year.





This is the haunted house that Grammy gave Norah last year. Each Halloween it will go in the front window.

Norah had dinner and got in her pj's and then helped BVZ hand out candy. I think that was her favorite part of the night.



She kept trying to escape to go out and be a part of the action.


Our city is very, very hilly and most parts are not conducive at all to trick or treaters. We live on the flat part though, and so we get all of the foot traffic (our street gets blocked off to traffic and everyone gets to walk in the street). Also, the house up and across the street from us does a very popular and very hard-core haunted house. People come from all over to experience it. BVZ and I left Grammy to man the candy bowl and we went over to check it out. We waited in line at least 20 minutes and it was the worst mistake I ever made. It was terrifying! It was a professional grade haunted house and really, really scary. By 9:00 pm, our street had been transformed into an old school block party. Hundreds of people hanging out with their kids, showing off their costumes and having a great time. We gave out just about 1,000 pieces of candy (2 to each kid), hung out with the neighbors, and really enjoyed a sense of community and commraderie.

Who would have thought it would only take some fake severed heads to bring us all together?

4 comments:

aileen said...

Next year we're spending Halloween at your house!

JAMS' HOUSE said...

Damn girl, you just posted a ton. I think I just spent my whole lunch break reading your blog.

Love that your hood is so into Halloween. We may just need to visit next year.

Maryellen said...

I never knew you were such a Halloweeny person. Your decorations are really cool but scary lady scares me. I would NOT want to kiss her.

I'm pretty jealous of your neighborhood.

Jennifer said...

I think I might be too scared to live in your neighborhood. I know that I am totally freaked out by just the pictures of your spooky lady - up close and personal might be too much for me.