Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A Day In the Life of Norm

Okay, bear with me because this is going to be the longest blog post in the history of blog posts.

This is a day in the life of Norah! On Wednesday we had no plans, no play dates, no music classes, and no baby groups. It was just me and Norah, so I decided to document our day. Here goes.

Norah wakes up between 4:00 and 5:00 am. I rescue her from the crib and bring her back into bed with us, she eats, and then we snuggle back asleep. She wakes up again at about 7:00 am.


And BVZ gets in some play time.

BVZ goes to work and Norah gets breakfast. She gets a handful of Cheerios while I fix her oatmeal.

Then she gets some oatmeal and fruit. She is moving past purees, so I chop up mango, kiwi, or blueberries (the latter into 6 equal pieces. That's love people!).


After breakfast she played with her very favorite toy--the computer cord.

After she lost the cord she consoled herself with some blocks.

She wandered into the kitchen to see what trouble she could find.



After catching sight of the cat it was game on.



Distracted by the jumperoo, she did some standing.


I took a chance and put her in it. She seemed to be digging it for a few minutes.


But then definitely wanted out.

Pretty soon she was ready for her morning nap. For several weeks, okay, months now, I have been trying to get her to nap in her crib. It usually results in a lot of screaming, crying, kicking, and then maybe a 20 minute nap. If she sleeps in our bed, however, I get a good hour and a half out of her. It used to annoy me because I can't trust her by herself and have to sit with her the whole time. But, I have given up the battle and now embrace the fact that she just wants to be close to me. Now I either nap with her, or use the time to check email, read, make a shopping list, or whatever. I can't think of anyplace I would rather be for an hour and a half.

After a great nap, Norah was all smiles.


She looks just like me in the morning!

Loretta follows us from room to room, so Norah took the opportunity to do a little tail pulling.


All that sleeping left her parched.

So she had some water.



The only way I can take a shower is if Norah hangs out in the exersaucer. The bathroom is too small for the giant plastic contraption, so she has to sit in the hallway. That usually really pisses her off, but here she's rolling with it.


After my shower we played for a bit in Norah's room.

She's so into her snail rocker. She hasn't quite figured out to climb on it, but she's getting close.


(She's crouching down here because she is making a giant zoo mess in her pants.)



She got a much needed diaper change and got dressed for the day.

You'll notice that she is only wearing a onesie and that onesie isn't even snapped. That would be because it is impossible to get her dressed these days. She thrashes and wrestles and screams if I try to pin her down for longer than 12 seconds.



The evil changing table.

We spent some time reading some books.

I got some pants on her and we played tag around the couch.






We got this print when we were in Paris and haven't found a new home for it after some recent rearranging. Norah touches it everytime she crawls through the hall.



Lunch was shredded cheese, avocado, and a bowl of pureed veggies. I had a cheese and avocado sandwich.


After lunch she humored her weight-obsessive mom. 17 lbs, 11 ozs (obviously with all her clothes on).

Lately, I have been putting her wicker basket full of toys in the middle of the room and then letting Norah pick what she wants to play with. She loves her blocks.






And her books.




We got these ridiculously huge plastic mugs from the hospital when Norah was born. I can't drink out of anything else. Norah loves them too.






The only places I can nurse her anymore are our bed and the recliner in her room. She grabbed some books from the table next to the recliner and we read a bunch of stories.


This kid loves dinosaurs! All her favorite books have dinosaurs in them.

It was a beautiful day and so I decided we needed to go on a long walk. Norah got the stroller ready.


Where we live is awesome because it isn't the city (we can actually park in front of our house), but it isn't the suburbs (lots of stuff within walking distance). So, we decided to make a trip to the post office, which is probably a little over a mile away.

Spring is everywhere. There is a random calla lily in our front yard. It just appeared the other day.

The pear tree is starting to bloom.

And the lavender bush is thriving (Norah was a bit freaked out by the bee flying by).

The nice view across the street.

It didn't take long for her to pass out.

It was a successful post office trip.

We made a few detours on the way home. We stopped at Starbucks where I bought us both a treat (decaf coffee for me, banana for Norah), and then walked through the park on our way back. The magnolias are in full bloom.


Norah loved checking out the big kids on the swings.


In an on-going effort to fatten her up, I have been trying to get Norah to take a bottle of formula every day. She hates it. I keep trying, but only put about 2 ounces in a bottle at a time so she won't waste too much. She kept dumping it over and letting it dribble into the fabric of her stroller, so I dumped it out and let her play with the bottle. Of course as soon as it didn't have any formula in it she was more than happy to suck on it. Grrrr.


There is a private girls school across the street from us and they have a championship softball team.

Back at home and back for some more blocks.

A diaper change meant the pants came off and there was no getting them back on.

Playing with her music table.

And picking more treasures out of the basket.




Some more cat chasing.




This is her hungry face.

So she got dinner.


And a bath with her friends.

Another wrestling match to get in her pajamas.



Lots more stories and then sweet, sweet sleep.

She's my very favorite person to spend the day with.

3 comments:

JAMS' HOUSE said...

Loved reading that.

Ave said...

Such a sweet post!

Jennifer said...

What a great day