Thursday, June 06, 2013

New

Louie started a new school at the beginning of the week.  His previous school doesn't have a summer term and we knew we were going to have to move him anyway because the hours were ridiculous (earliest drop off was 9:30).  The new school is super close to the elementary school Norah will be at in the fall and so despite the fact that I am still taking two kids to two different schools, at least come fall it will be very streamlined.

I like the school a lot and the facilities are pretty amazing.  It's a structured program (not overly academic, but the time during the day is very structured), which I think is actually a really good thing for Lou.  He was having a hard time towards the end of the session at the old place paying attention and following directions because he was not very engaged and had a lot of free play time (ie, time to find trouble).  The teachers say that he's very interested and participates in all of the crafts and different centers and seems to be really into it all.  Also, they include snacks and lunch, served in an all organic, sustainable cafeteria.  I don't have to pack a lunch for him anymore.  Hallelujah.   

The only wrinkle has been drop off.  He was fine the first day but the second, third, and fourth he has lost his damn mind.  Hysterical crying like I have never seen out of him before.  Begging me not to leave him.  Norah has been with me (I take him first and then her), and it upsets her so much.  Today, the teacher took him out of my arms and said he'd be fine and we left.  Norah was pissed that we were leaving him and cried until we got in the car.  Thankfully, the teacher sent me a picture about three minutes later of Lou happily playing on the slide and we both calmed down a bit.

This parenting gig is tough.


No comments: