Saturday, January 30, 2010

A Social Experiment

BVZ had to go into the office today so Norah and I went to the mall (on a Saturday, no less--clearly I was in the mood for pain). Lately, whenever Norah is in the stroller for more than about 10 minutes she demands to get out and walk and then after about 10 more minutes, demands that I pick her up and let her push the stroller herself. It is so annoying. So, I made a bold move and didn't take the stroller in at all.

We were only there to buy her some shoes and weren't in a hurry at all, so we did a lot of wandering. Norah browsed around and tried on all the Stride Rites at Nordstrom's and discovered her new most favorite thing in the entire history of the world--the escalator. She is getting her incisors and has a mild head cold right now (ie, she is back to eating like a bird), so I did what any good mom would do and got her some full-fat vanilla ice cream.


After that we walked around and I let her go into any store that suited her fancy. She was into: Victoria's Secret (there were these stuffed dogs in the window and at the front of the store that she petted and kissed); the Hallmark card shop (all of their Valentine stuffed animals were on display); 2 shoe stores; the watch store; Ann Taylor; The Body Shop; and wait for it... wait for it... The Disney Store.

I don't think I have actually ever been into a Disney Store before, so I thought this would be an excellent social experiment to see what items she was most drawn to. I didn't say a word to her, didn't point out anything or direct her anywhere, I just let her take the lead and followed her around.

As anyone who knows me is aware, when we first found out we were having a girl I was ecstatic, but then had a moment of panic--what the hell would I do if she liked The Princesses? It's hard to escape The Princesses these days, they are everywhere. On clothes, and toys, and DVD's, and lunch boxes, and luggage, and...you get the idea. It's not that I am morally opposed to The Princesses (okay, I kind of am), but I feel like it's kind of a Pandora's Box. Once it's opened, you are screwed.

So, imagine my relief that immediately upon entering the store Norah made a beeline for the display of balls (yay!) and chose the pink one with The Princesses (doh!). But then she threw the ball as if it were a softball (yay!), but then ran and picked it up, gave it a kiss, tucked it under her arm, and carried it around the rest of the store.

Thankfully, that was our only encounter with any of The Princesses. She was really interested in the wall of stuffed animals:

And REALLY into Buzz Lightyear:

She got ahold of a pink Minnie Mouse golf bag with wheels and lugged that around for a while.

She then found a pink plastic shopping cart and was thrilled to walk around picking stuff off of the shelves and putting it in the cart (she was not so thrilled when I walked around putting it all back). We probably spent a good 45 minutes in the Disney store today. Believe me, I am just as surprised as you are.

If Norah ends up loving The Princesses, I will love her just the same. I have no problem with anything she ever wants to do and will support whoever she wants to be. Except a cheerleader. Or a Republican.

2 comments:

k-dog studios said...

I like your trick of letting N push her own stroller as a way to let her out but keep her near. I'm going to try that since C also does not want to be in a stroller but definitely has strong opinions about where she wants to go, and it's not always where mommy & daddy want to go.

Christina said...

Hey Janet! I was a cheerleader!!!