Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Eighteen Months

Norah turned 18 months right after Christmas and I can't believe we have a kid on her way to two.

At her well-baby check up, she weighed in at a lean 22.7 lbs (which is around, like, um, the 23%). She was almost 34 inches, which puts her in the 78% for height. She still has a big, giant head--I don't even pay attention to the numbers anymore. Less than a week before her appointment she had a touch of a bug (or something) that resulted in 2 days of disgusting diapers and a diminished appetite, so I am thinking were it not for that, she would have been well over 23 lbs. At any rate, I am trying to look at the bright side of things--she can be a supermodel and support me in the life in which I plan to become accustomed to....

But most importantly, she's happy and healthy and we couldn't ask for anything more. (I have come to accept the fact that it is perfectly normal for a toddler to eat like a teenage boy one day, and have 2 molecules of food the next. I get it.)

She's just a big bundle of awesomeness these days. She talks (adds a new word to her vocabulary almost every day), runs, twirls, dances, and demands that her music be played at all times. (And by 'her' music I mean the Dinosaur Song, a Grateful Dead CD that BVZ gave her for Christmas, and the latest Kelly Clarkson. That's her rotation.) She has the best sense of humor--and laughs at stuff that is legitimately funny (like farts). She's very into independently playing these days (thank you, play kitchen), and can entertain herself for hours (okay, 12 minutes).

She can't get enough of books or my iphone, tries to climb in the dryer everytime it is open, and has broken 2 portable CD players. She is so interested in how things work and is mesmorized by anything electronic or mechanical. She loves people watching, and can't get enough of other kids. She gives the best hugs and kisses you could every possibly imagine. She's a complete and total love bug.

She has learned how to take her clothes off, as well as her diaper, and spends many an evening after dinner walking around in the buff. She demands to eat with a spoon and fork although not much food makes it from the plate to the utensil to her mouth. She prefers a real cup to a sippy cup and now knows how to get a towel and clean up what she spills (which is a lot).

I am astounded everyday by what she understands. I was sorting through some stuff in her room last weekend and said 'Ah, Norie. What I really need is that empty box from the living room.' Next thing I knew she was dragging it into her room with a big smile on her face. I can't wait to exploit this.

It would take me hours and hours to describe all the neat things she's doing and how much we love her. She's the best part of my day, the best part of our world.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

oh that's so sweet. Norah does give the BEST hugs and kisses!

JAMS' HOUSE said...

18 months! No way.

Maryellen said...

I LOVE that you have a blog so I can watch your little mama grow up. Norah really is an amazing person. I think she's going to rule the world one day.

TSG said...

Of course your child eats electrical chords........I am really scared to think of the things my children will eat someday.....