Friday, June 29, 2012

Four

And just like that, my baby turned four.  I am not sure why four seems so profoundly different to me.  There's no toddler, much less any baby that remains.  Her thoughts, wants, likes/dislikes, and ability to communicate is full on KID.  Kindergarten is a mere eye blink away.  Yesterday she asked when she could start having beer with dinner.  

Sigh.

Thankfully she isn't fully without need for the creature comforts of her infancy.  She asked to sleep with us on Wednesday night, a request both BVZ and I were happy to oblige.  As she lay sleeping with her heels dug into the small of BVZ's back and her hot, stinky breath on my cheek, I couldn't help but think about what life was like before her.  I swear I can hardly remember.  

The first thing she said as she opened her eyes on Thursday morning, was "guess what guys!  I am FOUR!"  Yes my dear, my darling.  Yes, you are.  


She's totally down with the fact that she doesn't get presents at her birthday party because she knows "my family is going to give me presents!" And she was ready for them immediately upon waking.  She got a big girl bike and helmet, a Merida doll (from the movie Brave) from Louie, and then BVZ pulled out the big guns and gave her a tricked out My Pretty Pony.  She was pretty stoked all around.



Breakfast was gluten free pancakes with way too much syrup.  BVZ went to work, I took the day off, and Bubby came over to take care of Lou.  Norah and I had planned for weeks that we would go see Brave together on her birthday.  We got a giant bag of pirate's booty, jelly bellies, m&m's and vitamin water and set off for the 9:40 showing.
I'm FOUR!
Too bad for us I either can't read movie times online or someone changed them in the middle of the night, but the first show didn't actually start until 10:25.  Thankfully, both Target and Half Price Books were open and so we killed some time.


My other unfortunate mistake was not realizing that the first show was one in 3-D.  I don't recommend seeing a movie in 3-D if you are anywhere outside the age range of 11 to 17. Norah hated the glasses but if you took them off the screen just looked blurry.  The whole thing gave me a headache.


Despite the circumstances, I LOVED the movie.  LOVED IT.  It has gotten a mixed bag of reviews, but I thought it was profound and heart breaking and visually stunning.  I loved Princess Merida and the complicated relationship she has with her mom.  I am sure it was because I was feeling particularly sentimental about having a daughter who is growing up, but it just reaffirmed what a gift and what a responsibility it is being the mom of a girl.  Norah liked it too, although I did ultimately she was a bit too young.  There are some scary scenes and I don't think she could have possibly grasped the sophisticated plot elements.  At one point she leaned over and whispered, "this movie is LONG!" which I don't think I have ever before heard her say.  

We headed back to the house for lunch, although we were both pretty stuffed full of our gluten free junk food.  We hung out with Bubby and Lou, Amy and Reid for the rest of the afternoon and got in a good, albeit, chaotic facetime with Ruby.  We also got to talk to Aunt Vanessa, and the S's (who are on vacation), and opened lots of awesome cards.  Norah and I took her bike out for a spin but lasted only about 5 minutes before we were desperate to get back inside (I think it was 107 yesterday).


Miraculously, BVZ was able to leave work at a half way decent hour and the four of us went out to dinner.  Norah ate gluten free pizza and a brownie and Lou crammed fistfuls of sweet potato fries in his face.


It goes without saying that we love this kid.  Thanks to everyone else for loving her too.

1 comment:

Tucker said...

Happy Birthday Norah!!