Thursday, April 12, 2012

Easter

I am always looking for fun science experiments for Norah to try. Knowing this, my friend Suzy sent me several links to blogs that described how to make your own Easter egg dye. I knew it would be the perfect project for Norah and I even made a grocery list of all the things we needed-blueberries, raspberries, beets, turmeric, and eggs.

The Saturday before Easter we were at the grocery store. Without my list. Blueberries and raspberries were way too expensive to do anything but eat, I forgot beets, and I was convinced I already had turmeric in the pantry. So, basically we made it home without anything we needed to make natural dyes. At least I remembered the eggs.

We only did a half dozen since it was just us. Norah told BVZ that I got "rotten eggs" and was unconvinced that the ones I got would actually work. [We eat brown eggs and so she somehow decided that white eggs were rotten. You would think it would be the other way around, but there's no arguing with the logic of a three-year-old.]

She did a good job of getting the eggs into the pot and I didn't notice one had cracked until its brains oozed out in the water.

We then went through the fridge, freezer and pantry and picked out things we thought would make good dyes. It actually ended up being way more fun that way.

The first thing she chose was Cayenne Pepper for "red." We basically dumped half a spice bottle into a saute pan, added some water, and boiled it.

Then we found a bag of frozen blueberries at the bottom of the freezer and used those to make "blue." (I encouraged the use of blueberries as I knew it was the one thing that was guaranteed to work. Norah wasn't that into it because she didn't want blue.)

Then we boiled dried cranberries to make "pink." [Not pictured.]

We let our pots boil for about 20 minutes, then strained the ones with fruit, and poured the reduced liquid into low-ball glasses.

The Cayenne made a dark orange that was really cool, but the pepper didn't fully dissolve. It actually made an interesting texture-kind of speckled.

It was super fun and Norah was really into it. I love little kid science.

At the end of the day, the Cayenne was so-so, the blueberry was awesome, and the cranberry didn't do shit. [See bottom right.] We didn't actually eat any of the eggs, since "blueberry egg" doesn't rank up there with anything that's even remotely appetizing. I think BVZ ate them instead.

That night I figured I should probably make the kids an Easter basket (I love them, I just always forget about that kind of stuff until the last minute). Thankfully, Target is open late.

Norah got a new, $7 dress, a Fancy Nancy book, a $1 puzzle, some bubbles, and a pack of M&M's.

Louis got a book about bugs, two baby food pouches (from the pantry) and a box of Mum Mum's (also from the pantry).

They were both beside themselves with joy. Just goes to show you, kids are easy. In fact, on Monday afternoon, Norah made a "caterpillar thank you card" to send to the Easter Bunny. Damn, I love that kid.

They hunted for eggs filled with marshmellows and cheerios. Norah declared that Lou wasn't allowed to eat marshmellows (he isn't) and decided the best course of action was to shove them all in her mouth at the same time, lest he get his hands on one.

Then we had a fun and laid back afternoon with the cousins, et al. I didn't take any pictures, so I have nothing to show for it. We also failed to get the kids' picture with the Easter Bunny at the mall. Norah would have been into it but Lou would have hated it. So, I don't feel all that bad about not doing it, even though I do enjoy a traumatized-baby-on-a-creepy-bunny's-lap photo op as much as the next guy.

Maybe next year.

No comments: