Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Sweet Berry Farm

Who knew that Austin had berry picking farms? Well, Austin doesn't, but Marble Falls does. So, we took Norah on a short road trip (about an hour away), to a cute little place called Sweet Berry Farm. It was hot. Very hot. But, Norah was enthusiastic about the whole thing.

In season were strawberries, blackberries, and obscenely large onions.

I love my girl, and my girl loves my sunglasses.

The Tuckers were excellent berry pickers.

Norah hadn't had strawberries yet. They are on the list of highly allergenic foods that should only be consumed after a year old. So, for some reason I decided it was a good idea to let her chow down on a few straight from the bush, in the middle of a field, in the middle of nowhere. I am an awesome mom.

She loved them.

So, I let her eat like four.


The Tuckers are also excellent berry eaters.


Norah and Aunt Kristin disappeared for a bit and when I found them they were petting a horse. The kid has no fear.


Evidenced by the fact that her favorite part of the whole afternoon was riding on Aunt Kristin's shoulders.



There were lots of school buses with lots of grubby little kids whining about the heat and the fact that their teachers wouldn't buy them homemade ice cream.


So I rubbed it in by buying homemade ice cream and eating it in front of them. Norah had a bite, but I think she was more into the rocks she also tried to eat.

The loot (sans blackberries):


After the farm Grammy treated us all to a delicious lunch at a local cafe. Their specialty is peanut butter pie and they have pictures of George Bush on the wall. Ah, Texas. Norah had a grilled cheese, put her feet up, and promptly passed out.

Without question, a lovely day.

The next morning Norah woke me up like she usually does by pounding me in the face. I tried to get her to lay down by rubbing her back. Which was all wet. I opened my eyes sleepily to find that she had pooped so much that the mess exploded out of her diaper, up her back and out of her pajamas, and ended up in her hair. She won't be getting strawberries again for a while.

2 comments:

Maryellen said...

Berry picking...how delightful. I've been to that cafe you guys went to. I think we had breakfast.

Jennifer said...

I didn't know such a berry picking place existed . . . perhaps we will have to check it out soon. Thanks for the info